Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
'04 Limited Engine shutters at idle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Feb 2010, 12:47 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default '04 Limited Engine shutters at idle

The engine feels as if it might stall at idle. It runs fine most of the time and has never had a problem while driving. It seems as if it doesn't get enough gas, or miss fires. I just got it back from the dealer for this problem. They changed the plugs and sparkplug wire set. They also did a "throttle body service" ($109.46 labor) and a "decarbonizing service" ($87.63 labor). The work was done six days ago and I am having the idle problem again. Any ideas?
Old 16 Feb 2010, 07:32 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: '04 Limited Engine shutters at idle

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallogd View Post
The work was done six days ago and I am having the idle problem again. Any ideas?
Yes .... take it back with your paperwork and tell them that the money you just spent did NOTHING to cure your problem and you want a refund or a fix without spending any more.
Old 16 Feb 2010, 09:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I agree with CREWZIN, if they didn't or cannot fix the problem request a refund. Talk the to service manager rather than the write up person. If that doesn't work ask to see the owner. Do NOT rant and rave, talk as natural as you can, they are human and also have problems.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 16 Feb 2010, 04:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks, I will try to have the problem resolved with the dealer, but I am not optimistic. I took it in for the shuttering, and oil leak, and a sort of bounce in the steering. The oil leak was a vlave cover gasket and cam gasket and covered under warranty with a $100 deductible. I believe that the labor to replace the valve cover gasket should have covered most of the labor to replace the spark plugs and spark plug wires. The repair to the steering was a new set of tires, a replacement of the front wheel bearings, and when they replaced the bearings they found that the brake rotors and pads needed to be replaced. The PT has 26,000 miles on it. I have had it since new and most of the miles are just around town. When I picked up the car it had a front bumper rip by the left front tire. They indicated that the bumper was obviously previously damaged by the coloring of the break. Total cost for the trip was $1805.54 plus $740 for the bumper replacement. They gave me the bumper at dealer cost. I am not sure if the damage was done prior to my taking it in, but they did not indicate the damage on slip when I took it in. I will post after taking to the dealer. I was hoping that someone might have had a similar problem with the idle and gine me some indication of what they thought it might be.
Old 17 Feb 2010, 06:04 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Make clear to the dealer they are not to do anything that will cost you another dime unless they call you, and if they do call you , tell them NO.
I suspect your dealer is a thief - at 26,000 miles, hard to believe you needed tires, wheel bearings, and brake rotors.
Brake pads, yes. Tuneup - wires & plugs - yes.
The throttle body service and decarbonizing service were pure profit to the dealer and probably were not needed - certainly not at 26,000 miles.
They damaged your bumper then charged you to fix it?
Ask around for a good mechanic - you need to avoid this dealer.
Make them fix what you paid them for, then avoid them.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles

Last edited by quicksilverdon; 17 Feb 2010 at 06:08 am.
Old 17 Feb 2010, 10:25 am
Senior Cruiser

Wow! That's why dealers scare the poop out of me! Whenever you bring your car in you have to deal with a guy working on commission and now these poor bastards that own and work at Chrysler dealers are trying to survive on service until that get some new cars to sell from Fiat. But with that said don't let them survive off you. I would get your car fixed and than avoid that dealer like they had the plague.
Old 17 Feb 2010, 06:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well, I have the Cruiser back at the dealer's shop. I was lucky enough to have it running poorly so they could see just what I was complaining about. They have taken it back in to evaluate it's problem. I indicated that I did not intend to pay any more to get it fixed. They are to notify me when they locate the problem. Hopefully they will just notify me when it is fixed.
Old 18 Feb 2010, 11:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have a 2007 PT Cruiser that shuttered at a\idle also. I read another thread on shudder, It was the PCV valve sticking. Most of the time ran fine, but would all of a sudden shudder on idle. Replaced the PCV valve ($3.69 including tax) and back to running real smooth!!!!

THANKS CREWZIN for the info.
Old 26 Feb 2010, 11:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well here is the update. The dealer had the car for two days. They said that the problem was with the fan modual. When the low speed fan should kick in it didn't and caused the head pressure on the air conditioner compressor to be too high loading the engine causing it to stutter. The cost for the repair was quoted at $607. I complained that the original work did nothing to fix the problem. They eventually agreed to give me the part at cost and charge me just for the actual time it took the mechanic to replace it. Total cost for the last repair was $298. I have it back and it is better than it was. There are still times that it runs a little rough, but not bad enough to say it stutters. I will try the PVC valve next. It will not be going back to the dealer.
Old 26 Feb 2010, 11:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

It's a little high for just replacing the fan but it's probably book/labor rate. Anyone with experience could change it out in under 2 hours. Dealer is probably in the neighborhood of $90 an hour for a labor/book rate of 3 hours.