Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Engine problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Feb 2010, 05:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Engine problems

I have a 01 pt crusier limited edition that i had an oil change done and afterwards i noticed a knocking noise. I brought it to the dealer and they told me i needed a new head gasket and spark plug seats have 92k on the engine so told them to do it. picked the car up on friday and it was still making a knocking noise but not as bad. car sat on the weekend. on monday drove 15 miles to work. on my way home about 6 blocks away from work the engine stalled no loud clank just stoped running and would not start up again. so i had it towed back to the dealer and they told me the #1 pistion smacked the bottom of the sparkplug and shatterd it. they said i need a new engine. what could cause that. could the dealer done something wrong. thank you
Old 16 Feb 2010, 09:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Engine problems

Timing Belt??

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 16 Feb 2010, 09:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Timing Belt??
Even with the timing belt breaking, the valves don't hit the pistons, and in worse case, the valves can hit each other. Nothing to do with the plug hitting the top of the piston. Only thing I can think of is a longer threaded plug being put in but that should start hitting the piston as soon as the engine starts, not after a 15 mile drive to work and back.

Possibly a piston pin starting to give way (knocking sound you heard) and when it finally gave way it allowed the piston to go further up the cylinder than it was intended to do and then smack into the tip of the plug.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 16 Feb 2010 at 09:46 pm.
Old 16 Feb 2010, 09:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I don't see how the piston could hit the bottem of the spark plug unless something else was wrong. The pistons travel the same distance every stroke and the spark plugs are stationary. Unless the piston rod came loose allowing the piston to travel up in its bore farther, or the spark plug was extra long allowing it to go into the head deeper, I dont see how this could happen unless the car was mis-diagnosed in the first place meaning that you had a loose rod which would explain the knocking noise which would not be corrected by replacing the head gasket, leaving you with the possability of throwing a rod which could definately drive a piston into the spark plug.
Old 16 Feb 2010, 10:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Isn't that what I said? Great minds think alike.
Old 16 Feb 2010, 11:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

You had your head gasket replaced and spark plug seats ?? I'm thinking something is not being explained correctly.. Now if you had your valve seats replaced I can see how one of them can hit your piston. Ether way I would suggest another opinion. You need someone who can look this over who ass isn't on the line. I would say your dealer screwed up and isn't steeping up. IMO
Old 17 Feb 2010, 09:55 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Yep... I think Crewzin and driveability are correct! Mis diagnosed in the first place. I would pay a visit to the dealer. I think they messed up. Knocking noise is not a head gasket problem.
Old 18 Feb 2010, 08:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Isn't that what I said? Great minds think alike.
Sorry Crewzin,
I am a slow typer or maybe thinker. I probley started my reply 10 minutes before you did and finished about 10 minutes after you!!
Old 18 Feb 2010, 10:17 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveability View Post
You had your head gasket replaced and spark plug seats ?? I'm thinking something is not being explained correctly.. Now if you had your valve seats replaced I can see how one of them can hit your piston. Ether way I would suggest another opinion. You need someone who can look this over who ass isn't on the line. I would say your dealer screwed up and isn't steeping up. IMO
Maybe I am just really slow on the uptake today. How does one replace a spark plug seat? And what horrible thing would have to happen to damage a spark plug seat? Something seems very odd with the dealer's diagnosis.

A knocking noise after an oil change, especially at a place like a spiffy lube, often means that they forgot to put in the new oil.

Question for Rich 228: Was that a Chrysler dealer you took it to?