Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
engine won't run

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Feb 2010, 08:03 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default engine won't run

The engine light stated to come and blink periodicaly, did new plugs/wires,mech said code showed misfie on #4-then died..changed coil,checked timing/belt, replaced cam sensor, now says needs comuter but says w/need to be programed.... any suggestions? HELP
Old 17 Feb 2010, 08:39 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: engine won't run

Welcome to the forums.
It's possible....
read similar:
2004 PT Cruiser Wont Start

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 18 Feb 2010, 06:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I was a tune up drvieability guy for years and have had thousands of cars that wont run.
After checking for codes I would do some quick tests, first would be if it would crank I would key it up and listen for the fuel pump and the quality of the tone it made.. That tells me among other things the computer is up and smart enough to turn that on.. Crank the engine and listen to the crank rhythm, listening for the presents of compression being made. An engine with a bad timing belt will likely crank much smoother and have a different rhythm. If all that sounds good I would pull off a plug wire off a coil and look for spark, good quality Zap ! If that works than a check of the injector pulse.. If everything works good than look for something like diesel fuel in the mix. things in that area.... seen that dozens of times.. I'm sure your fuel is good LOL
HST I think your Tech is week and having trouble making a correct diagnosis and that's costing you money !! Sad but true not everyone knows what there doing and work at a high level.

Quick thought, Most EFI systems (Remember Most) don't blink its service light randomly. I mean that they don't flash on and off without some pattern. If your light is doing something odd like this it could be a computer issue , but power inputs and grounds will do the same thing..

Last edited by driveability; 18 Feb 2010 at 06:30 pm.
Old 19 Feb 2010, 12:21 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for such a detailed run thru. Can a non-dealer pin-point a computer problem first? Weel, a new computer on order now. Will let you know how it works.