Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Hurst Short Shifter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Oct 2003, 08:20 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Hurst Short Shifter

Has anyone installed the Hurst shifter for the PT? What difference does it make to shifting gears and how difficult was it to install? (if you did it yourself)

Thks!

[8)]
Old 16 Oct 2003, 09:47 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I have a Hurst Shifter in my PT. The shifts are definately shorter by about 25-30%. Read this article and print out the pictures to save yourself some time: http://ptcw.truckmoxie.com/tenarticle.asp?sid=8&aid=70

Also buy a Hex Bit Socket set (or at least the 5/32 and 7/32 sockets). The supplied bolts are allen head. Also, dont forget to add/apply grease where needed(I used Mobil 1 grease). Recommend applying blue loctite on the threads and torqueing the bolts to keep everything tight and replace the stock bushings with booger bushings for a more solid feel. If you take your time, plan on an hour or 2.
Old 16 Oct 2003, 12:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I've had the Hurst shifter in my PT for about 2 yr. It makes a tremendous differance in shift quality. The Instructions that come with the kit are very clear and comprehensive, and you should have little trouble with the process.

"If it ain't a HURST, it ain't worth a shift!
Old 17 Oct 2003, 07:44 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Just installed a Hurst shifter in my friend's 2002 PT today and ended up NOT installing the replacement shifter bracket bushings. It seems that her parking brake lever doesn't go high or back far enough to allow the center console to be removed completely, plus the right seat arm rest needed to be removed too. And she didn't want to fool around loosening the parking brake cable and then readjusting it or removing the arm rest. So we just changed the shifter, installed the collar, and put in booger bushings. Worked out ok though, shifts are shorter and tighter. Did a different mod on the booger bushing for the Hurst screw-in sleeve. Instead of cutting the bushing, I drilled a larger hole the same diameter size as the allen head and to the depth of the allen head, about a 1/4" deep or just short of the locking lip. Did a test fit and it worked out perfectly. The sleeved bolt has a groove just below the head for the stock bushing to lock into and the booger bushing locked in when I screwed the bolt tight.
Old 26 Oct 2003, 01:49 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I've had the Hurst in my 02 for about 6 months now. It was an evenings install, biggest annoyance was getting the right side cable out of the mounting bracket, and reattaching it afterwards.

Second largest annoyance was having to grind the billet upper block to get a little more clearance and prevent popping out of first gear.

Shifts are shorter, and more positive. Much better feel, and much closer to hand. I plan to try the improved bushings next.

Today I upgraded the boring knob from the Hurst kit (got mine from Jegs, where I also got the 'Hurst Equipped' exterior trim piece.)

Now there is a big happy 8-ball in easy reach of my right hand.

Join the SEMA Action Network
http://www.semasan.com