Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
04 PT No Spark after Exhuast Valve Replacement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Feb 2010, 12:05 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 04 PT No Spark after Exhuast Valve Replacement

Hello everyone this is my first post anywhere on this issue ( but not the first I have read) I got this car from a used car dealer with what he refered to as a dead hole, the car ran and drove but had a very bad miss so we started with the basic tune up, upon removing plug wires from the coil we noticed a rusted/coroded end on the #3 of the coil so we replaced the coil ( as the corrosion is usualy a sign of a bad coil ), Car started and ran what I would say to be 50% better but still had the bad miss, so we pulled the plugs and checked for compression and found the #3 cylinder also had 0 - 10lbs of pressure, so we then pulled the motor apart and removed the head and found the #3 cyl exhuast valve to be split. We then replaced the bad valve, headgasket and plugged every thing back in thinking we where done.

Now the vehicle has no spark, after reading posts about the harness getting chewed on by the cv axle we visually checked the harness for breaks or rub throughs but have found none, so we started testing the voltages at the sensors. The plug for the coil has 5volts on the 2 outter wires and the center wire shows no voltage ( ground I assume ) we then checked the plug to the crank sensor which has the same 3 wires that the coil has and I get the same 5 volts at the tan wire nothing at the ground and then the orange wire has a very weak reading below 1 volt.

Should the voltages be the same at the coil, crank, and cam sensors?
Also we have replaced the crank sensor with a new one with the same no spark issue after.
any help on this would be appreciated also any wiring diagrams you could connect me with would be beautiful!

Thanx in advance!
Old 22 Feb 2010, 07:09 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 04 PT No Spark after Exhuast Valve Replacement

Welcome to the forums.
Have you replaced the Cam sensor as well, or just the crank sensor?
For these sensors, best to get parts from dealers, as many have found aftermarket sensors bad.
Doesn't timing belt have to come off to do head work?
Sure the timing belt is on right and aligned properly?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 22 Feb 2010, 10:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

I have found from experience working as a tune up tech most often a running car will run after repairs are complete unless something was installed askew.
Old 22 Feb 2010, 11:29 am
Fresh Cruiser

hey guys, thanx for your speedy responses!
To answer your questions yes the timing belyt had to come off to do the head and yesd we are positive that it is on the right way, no we did not replace the cam sensor as we didnt want to throw anymore money at a car that ran when we took it apart and no we did not use factory chrystler parts as that can get extremly spendy. As far as something being "installed askew" not the case this is not the first car Ive worked on nor will it be the last this motor looks and is hooked up exactly the way it was when we recieved the car. I am at a loss, thanks to Crewzer I was able to get the service manual and am now in the process of checking the power and ground splices.

My personal belief is that we pulled a wire loose during the head work process, I wish we hadnt but, what are you gonna do? Thanks again for your help and advice.

Is there a way to test the sensors to find if they are bad without just replacing them? and what are the voltages supposed to be for the wires that run the cam/crank/coils this information would be helpfull thank you.
Old 22 Feb 2010, 04:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

One way to know - are you throwing any codes? (engine light on?)
Old 23 Feb 2010, 04:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Sorry it took so long to get back to you, When I check the codes via the key on/off method I get 3 chimes followed by a pause and then a single chime? I didnt notice the odometer show a actual code as has been refered to in other posts but that doesnt mean it didnt as I may have missed it.
EDIT: I double checked the code with the key and it does not show a code or say done as stated in Crewzers post on how it should be done, odometer says cruise and then shows the milage at 94,000. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Hustlewrench; 23 Feb 2010 at 04:43 pm. Reason: added more information
Old 23 Feb 2010, 05:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Keep trying -
Turn to "on" - on click before Starter engages, go one click back to "off"
then ON
Off
ON and leave it on.
Do it fairly quickly.
You should always get "done".
Old 23 Feb 2010, 05:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok I was doing the key on/off too slow. After a 5th try I came up with the following codes:
P0107 Map Sensor Circuit Low Voltage
P0122 Throttle Position Sensor Low Voltage
P0335 CKP Sensor A Circuit Performance
P0340 CMP Sensor Circuit

What do you think guys? Is it a bad wire Or is the PCM shot? Iam at a loss on this one both mentally and financialy Hope someone can point me in the right direction.
Old 23 Feb 2010, 05:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Over my head....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 23 Feb 2010, 05:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for try'n QuiksilverDon it is appreciated! Ive looked at tons of forums and this is the best Ive found for PT info so Im confident someone here will be bale to help me might take awhile but at this point all I have is time.

Tags
bad sensors, no spark