Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Starter Modifications

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Feb 2010, 01:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Starter Modifications

I have a 04 Touring and I am wanting to just get a little bit more bang for my buck. Currently everything under the hood is stock with a few minor exterior and interior changes such as adding lights under seat and console, front windows tinted to match the back ones, rims, that kind of stuff. I was looking into something with a little more speed but decided I like my cruiser and I plan on having a family soon so why not just tune it up a little. What are some basic modifications to get more power, acceleration, HP etc... I am very new to all this and need as much help as I can get. Any posts are welcome...
Old 22 Feb 2010, 02:32 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Starter Modifications

Sorry, but the non turbo PT is and will always be just plain slow. It's a great cruiser and a great looker. You can throw buckets of money at it and it will remain slow. Been there, done that. The only way to make the non turbo PT have decent power is to turbo it, but that is expensive unless you have the skill and knowledge to do it yourself. Even then it isn't cheap and you'll have a lot of down time with your car. Enjoy what you have or trade it in on the more powerful PT GT. Lots of great power mods for the GT. Been there, done that.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 22 Feb 2010, 05:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Mean Green has it right if your looking for the kind of "seat of your pants" thrill ride. The best things to do for the N/A PT is to keep it tuned up (get rid of the stock plugs and wires). A free flowing exhaust and air intake that only draws in cool air.

The stock PT will do 110 although it takes a little bit of time to get there. It will keep up with 99% of all the traffic around and get you a speeding citation as fast as any GT because the states speed limits aren't like Europe. If your into stop-light-to-stop-light racing with the ricers, you have the wrong car.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 22 Feb 2010, 06:03 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Mean Green has it right if your looking for the kind of "seat of your pants" thrill ride. The best things to do for the N/A PT is to keep it tuned up (get rid of the stock plugs and wires). A free flowing exhaust and air intake that only draws in cool air.

The stock PT will do 110 although it takes a little bit of time to get there. It will keep up with 99% of all the traffic around and get you a speeding citation as fast as any GT because the states speed limits aren't like Europe. If your into stop-light-to-stop-light racing with the ricers, you have the wrong car.

Old 22 Feb 2010, 06:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'm not really talking about racing or anything like that just something a little closer to a v6 rather than the touring's version of the 4banger. sounds like I need to get started with the basic tuning then. Any recommendations for the free flowing exhaust and cold air intake? I have been looking at Dynomax and K&N's FIPK anyone used either of those or know someone that has and if so what's the review? Realistically will I notice a difference afterwards?
Thanks for the help...
Old 22 Feb 2010, 07:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I started out with the DynoMax 17732. Nice sound, lighter in weight that the original. Don't know if that really added to any performance gain. You can't really feel a couple of extra HP. The biggest difference some of us have felt is with the free-er flowing air intake. The N/A engine seems to like more clean, cool air than the stock box gives. Takes away any hesitation from the standing start. As long as you go with a system that keeps the hot engine air away from the intake, you'll notice a difference. After saying that, mine takes in all the hot air it can get because it's an open end and it still took away the low end hesitation. Would I get another 2 HP if it was all cool air, maybe, I don't miss it.

Another forum that extensively looks for speed has shown that the original air box with a couple of modifications and a drop in K&N is just as good as the high priced add-on air filters and the only price is the drop-in.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 22 Feb 2010, 07:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

K&N FIPK and/or AirAir have air dams to block most hot air, and give improved throttle response, and sound great.
I like the BTG exhaust - single is good enough - truly flow thru - you can look right thru the pipe!

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 22 Feb 2010, 07:15 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasetag87 View Post
I'm not really talking about racing or anything like that just something a little closer to a v6 rather than the touring's version of the 4banger. sounds like I need to get started with the basic tuning then. Any recommendations for the free flowing exhaust and cold air intake? I have been looking at Dynomax and K&N's FIPK anyone used either of those or know someone that has and if so what's the review? Realistically will I notice a difference afterwards?Thanks for the help...
Get a K&N drop in filter for your stock airbox. It will flow a bit better than the stock paper filter. An aftermarket open filter like the K&N FIPK (A fancy name that means nothing) will cost you some power because of sucking in hot engine air. Does make a cool sound, but that is all you are paying for. The stock exhaust system is actually designed pretty well. For a little bit better flow get a Magnaflow muffler which is of a free flow design. All you'll get from an aftermarket exhaust is less money in your wallet and a cooler sound. Realistically, will you be closer to a V6 and notice a difference? In reality you'll gain very little, a little bit cooler sound is all. But, don't fret. My wife's '04 non turbo PT runs great and I love cruising in it.

Old 22 Feb 2010, 09:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Great stuff guys really appreciate it a lot, if anything else comes to mind on something that I can do to get a little more power behind my wheels do not hesitate to let me know, I just created the profile so I'll be posting pictures soon and continue as I go. Crewzin I really liked the look of the cargo area with the wood base and slide-shelf where did you find that?
Old 22 Feb 2010, 09:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Unfortunately, the place that made the shelves and another vendor that has custom shelves both went out of business.

Tags
modifications, performance, systems, touring, tune