PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
squeaky/squealy noise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Feb 2010, 03:49 am
Young Cruiser

Default squeaky/squealy noise

Hello guys n gals

Lately I've noticed a squeak/squeal noise that happens when I am in reverse. It is coming from the front end area, brakes or something? while my brakes still had some pad left, I was concerned about the rotors at one point. the surface is fine, but the part between was brown (rusty?). I'm assuming this is because the car used to live in the salt belt of NY. I dont have any issues as far as driving or braking, but the noise is pretty loud. I hate when people give the "wtf" look

doesnt matter what way the wheel is turned, and it doesn't matter the speed (altho i notice it more when i go real slow trying to listen to it)

do i just need to replace the brakes and rotors?

2004 GT
Old 23 Feb 2010, 07:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: squeaky/squealy noise

Usually when pads or shoes are needed (rotors don't make noise) it happens only when your applying the brakes, not while your driving. You can always take it to one of the auto shops that work on brakes and have a free inspection. They will high pressure you to fix "something" but there's no obligation to buy anything or have any work done.
Old 23 Feb 2010, 02:03 pm
Young Cruiser

most of the time i have not yet put my foot on the brake yet, i'm usually turning the wheel and in motion

2004 GT
Old 24 Feb 2010, 01:46 pm
Young Cruiser

now sometimes when i apply the brake I hear the squeal noise. it's not consistent as I don't hear it every time. the tire was removed and the brakes where checked. has plenty of life on them.

what could it be?

2004 GT
Old 24 Feb 2010, 01:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You said at first that it wasn't when you applied the brakes and now your saying it is when you apply them. Two things: trapped dust and dirt, the anti-rattle/squeal metal piece is missing or put on wrong. You could have also warpped the rotors and they are out of round but you can usually feel the brakes pulsing if that happens.

Old 25 Feb 2010, 02:39 am
Young Cruiser

at first it wasnt when i applied the brakes, but tuesday it pretty much announced itself at that time yesterday (wednesday) it wasnt as audible, i literally had to go down a quiet street with no radio just to hear anthing. it kind of has a tempo to it, it's not a constant noise. I dont know how to explain it. the "reverse squeal" is constant tho.

I havent gone to the dealership or a shop yet because i dont know if they will charge me to just look, so I'm holding out until Friday. I do know for a fact I have a bad tire, possibly two.

2004 GT
Old 26 Feb 2010, 11:12 am
Cool Cruiser

The front pads have a metal tab that makes a lot of noise when the pads should be replaced before you have metal to metal contact. It will appear to have "some" pad left, but the noise will continue to get worse until the pads are replaced.
Old 26 Feb 2010, 02:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

My SO's makes a noise backing up too, when you cut the wheel at the end of the drive. I believe it's the rear bushings (I'm waiting till spring though). I know it isn't the brakes.

Although the comments about the warning scraper are well made.

Here in saltland Ohio I had a neighbor from the south. Over the fence I see him working on his car. "What's amatter?" Him: "brake drums are rusty". Forgive me a giant chuckle - just about all exposed unpainted/untreated metal up here gets rusty. It's unlikely that the rust on your rotors is any problem at all.

Even still nothing wrong with replacing them, or just pulling them off and cleaning them up a little.

Good luck!

Pete
Old 27 Oct 2017, 12:25 am
Fresh Cruiser

Ever figure out what was causing this. My 2003 GT is doing this now