PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Help! Engine Mount replacement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Feb 2010, 01:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Help! Engine Mount replacement

hi everyone, i'm new to the forums and wanted to ask a few questions about replacing the engine mounts on my 2001 pt.

i was recently at a mechanics and they were going to charge me $600 for both upper/lower mounts. i can't afford to spend $600 on these mounts and i heard that it's relatively easy to do it on your own so i decided to give it a try. I've already bought both replacement parts for $34 each (mechanic was quoting me prices of $106 and $118)

i'm currently working on the upper mount. can anyone give step by step instructions as to how to remove the upper mount?

so far i know that i have support the engine with a jack and a block of wood, and when i look at the upper mount i see 4 bolts that i need to unscrew.

some images of the upper mount:
http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/9442/img2083a.jpg
http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/8766/img2085a.jpg

right now my main issue is getting to the bolt on the side on the second picture. it seems impossible to access and there is no room at all.

i'm also having difficulty removing the bolt at the top directly below the pipes. there is very little room and a socket/ratchet cannot fit, but i think i can remove it with a box wrench.

looking at the space i have to work around, even if i manage to take out all the screws i don't think i can take out the mount and put the new one in there. there's no room to take it out. which makes me wonder if i have to remove the pipes running directly above the mount. if so, can anyone give me step by step instructions as to how to remove these pipes?

image of pipes:
http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/6224/img2086a.jpg

any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Old 23 Feb 2010, 07:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Help! Engine Mount replacement

For that mount the two close together in the first picture are correct. the others are not the correct ones. The one you need to remove is under the AC lines the one closest to the engine and the nut/bolt is under that ac line service port in the third shot.. I think its 18mm and is standing straight up. Its hard to describe its location in print.. LOL
Old 07 Mar 2010, 06:24 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

According to Chrysler, you can remove the bolts, and remove the upper timing cover in order to remove the upper mount.

You don't want to mess with your AC lines as that would require evacuating the refrigerant, which is something you cannot do from home unless you have the machine for it.
Old 08 Mar 2010, 04:53 pm
Cool Cruiser

I posted this last month, but take out your front right headlight.... The mount will go through the hole!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 02 Pt Cruiser 004.jpg (93.7 KB, 211 views)
Old 08 Mar 2010, 07:17 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Oh my, I know several people who have replaced theirs and didn't remove the headlight or timing cover. It's not that hard to do when you have someone hold the ac lines out of the way. I've done it on my '03 GT and my '05 SRT-4.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 08 Mar 2010, 07:29 pm
Cool Cruiser

Yea... That picture was taken when we changed the timing belt on the 02. Wanted to keep the a/c lines intact, so the headlight came out. Only 4 nuts hold the light in. The idea was not mine... Got it from my Chrysler tech friend.
Old 09 Mar 2010, 02:21 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767skyking View Post
Yea... That picture was taken when we changed the timing belt on the 02. Wanted to keep the a/c lines intact, so the headlight came out. Only 4 nuts hold the light in. The idea was not mine... Got it from my Chrysler tech friend.
Sounds like a plan. The AC lines are a pain.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 04 Sep 2010, 11:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Has anyone ever done a right up for this? Just wondering, By the way, I'm the new guy.
Old 05 Sep 2010, 12:46 am
Senior Cruiser

Theres a big difference on the NA's and turbos. On the turbos you can easily remove the mount and it will lift right out. However on the NA, the AC lines are directly on top of the mount.

On my 04' GT i removed both upper and lower to install poly inserts very easy and again to polish the upper a few months later. On my 06' NA, i was going to remove the upper to polish it and decided to leave as is when i saw how different the AC lines were ran. Didnt see how it would come off unless unhooking the AC lines.

My rides: 2004 Almond GT, autostick - Only car shows, some weekends but with Stage1!
2003 cranberry 5 speed GT - Fishing with a sleeper Stage3 setup!

Her Ride: 2006 Electric Blue Touring, auto -Daily driver, car shows with tons of A/V!

Old 05 Sep 2010, 02:00 am
Young Cruiser

i'm due for new mounts and i keep putting it aside as i dont want to mess with the engine torque struts adjustment which is complicated and i wish someone explain it to me !