Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
coolant leak, pressure in system

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Feb 2010, 08:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default coolant leak, pressure in system

I have an '03 GT with 140k miles. I had the typical coolant leak where the side tanks meet the body of the radiator. Since this is the second radiator in the car already I poured in half a bottle of Bars Leak. That stopped the majority of the leak for about 10 days.

Tonight on the way home smoke starts coming from under the hood. I stopped in a parking lot and a small puddle of anti-freeze forms under the car just about where the over-flow tank drain is located. There is fluid in the tank and the temp gauge is right at normal. The radiator cap is warm, but not hot so I squeezed the upper radiator hose and it feels like there is quite a bit of pressure in it. It, also, was not overly hot, but steam came up from around the turbo.

I drove the rest of the way home with no problems. The temp gauge stays right in the middle, the heater blows continuous hot air, and there is no water in the oil.

Does anyone have a idea what is going on and what I need to check first? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by RaceWilson; 24 Feb 2010 at 07:25 am. Reason: wrong information
Old 23 Feb 2010, 10:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: coolant leak, pressure in system

You probably lost enough water from the radiator to let air into the system. Air goes to the highest points and the evaporator (in the dash) is one of them. When air gets in there, the air-conditioner can't work properly.
First you have to fix all the leaks, then fill the coolant system up and bleed the air out of it.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 24 Feb 2010, 07:27 am
Fresh Cruiser

Will the heater blow hot air and the temp gauge work if the thermostat is stuck in the closed position?
Old 24 Feb 2010, 07:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

If the thermostat is stuck in a closed position, the coolant won't be able to circulate and you'll over heat in a matter of a minute or two.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 24 Feb 2010, 07:49 am
Fresh Cruiser

That's part that has me confused. I can run the car for 10-15 minutes and the temp gauge slowly comes up to the middle of its range and stays there. There are no warning lights. Could I be getting a false reading at the gauge?

Thanks for the help!
Old 24 Feb 2010, 08:07 am
Obsessed Cruiser

It's a possibility but not likely. The whole coolant system is made to be a closed/air-tight system with the correct amount of anti-freeze. If there's any air in the system or too little coolant mixture, the water will start to boil, create pressure and come out any way it can. Easiest way is thru the overflow or any hole in the system.

Fix your leaks, fill the system with the correct mixture that Chrysler recommends (HOAT) and bleed all the air out of it. If the fan speeds are working, the radiator isn't clogged or leaking and the thermostat is working then there shouldn't be a problem.

Tags
leak, radiator, turbo