PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
09 to only hit 157kph

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Feb 2010, 09:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to echo
Default 09 to only hit 157kph

I just got an 09 PT with the 2.4 and 4 speed auto. On a very long straight and clear peice of highway in the middle of no where I floored it to see if it could get anywhere near the 240kph top of the speedo. To my dissapointment it topped out at about 157kph but only about 4000rpm. My 05 Sunfire did better than that on a smaller engine. So does my Accord and it has 330000 on it!
Does anyone know about a speed or rev limiter that may be on this year? Not that I need it to be a little red rocket but it just seemed to me like there was more in there that wasn't coming out. Any sugestions on power upgrades like cold air intake or those internet performance chips?
Old 23 Feb 2010, 10:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 09 to only hit 157kph

The upper limit is controlled by the computer. You might add a few HP with add-ons but your not going to do away with the computers upper limit.

You have the same limiter when your sitting still in neutral. You can't rev above a set limit.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 24 Feb 2010 at 06:25 am.
Old 23 Feb 2010, 11:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Does anyone know if there is any kind of bypass for the speed limiter on an 09 PT. An example would be like the run around for the speed limiter on my 05 Sunfire. With it at 180 it would start to cut off the fuel flow through the pump to slow the engine. So if one would run a stand alone fuel system that would solve that issue. Does the PTs limiter run the same way or if not how?
Old 24 Feb 2010, 06:38 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Yes, the computer shuts off the fuel pump but from what I've rear many times in numerous threads even if you were to bypass the problem of fuel flow, the aerodynamics of the cruiser (shape/weight etc.) won't allow you to go too much further with the stock engine.
Old 24 Feb 2010, 08:18 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Is your '09 new or used? How many miles on it?
The rev limiter is 6,250 and your weren't near that, so, if your car is new, the engine may be too "tight" to wind out, and if it's used, may be time for new wires and plugs.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 24 Feb 2010, 09:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Forget the "CHIPS", snake oil!!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 26 Feb 2010, 11:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

My 2002 does 135KPH with virtually no effort on the highway.
Got the expensive "time slip" to prove it!!! How much faster? Not going to try to find out. Definitely not as fast as the wife's 1995 2.5 Mystique.
Old 27 Feb 2010, 02:31 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Internet performance chips are a joke and a rip off. There is no way to defeat the rev or speed limiter on the non turbo PT. The non turbo PT is pretty slow, but a fine cruiser. Enjoy the ride.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 01 Mar 2010, 03:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for all the info everyone! Some one asked new or used and milage it is a used 09 but has only 27000 km on it. Right now I am really looking for more low end torque, some faster pick up between 60kph through 100 kph.
Old 01 Mar 2010, 05:41 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
Thanks for all the info everyone! Some one asked new or used and milage it is a used 09 but has only 27000 km on it. Right now I am really looking for more low end torque, some faster pick up between 60kph through 100 kph.
Not really any power mods for the na PT to get more noticeable power. Have fun cruising.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic