Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
When to get a tune up and how much will it cost

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Feb 2010, 02:04 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default When to get a tune up and how much will it cost

I purchased a 2007 PT Cruiser base and it had 30299 miles on it. So far I have close to 36000 miles on the car and had the air filter changed and a very thorough oil change a month after buying the car. When is it a good time to get a tune up and how much would that cost? Thanks
Old 27 Feb 2010, 02:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: When to get a tune up and how much will it cost

Welcome to the forums.
If you're handy you can do the plugs & wires yourself - I did.
Here's a guide:
2006-Up Pt Cruiser Spark Plug Removal.

Plugs are cheap, wire sets are $50 & up - do not buy stock wires - Autolite, MSD, etc are better.
Gap at 0.040.
At 30,000 miles - it's time.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 27 Feb 2010, 02:17 am
Fresh Cruiser

so all that is needed are new spark plugs??? I don't know how to change spark plugs. The only thing I changed on the car was the tail lights because the bulbs blew out.
Old 27 Feb 2010, 04:51 am
Fanatic Cruiser

The traditional tune-up is pretty much a thing of the past...points and carb are long gone. At 36000, a fresh set of plugs would be nice. Other than that, check all the fluids, a good visual inspection for leaks, loose components, and belt condition. Check the tires for wear. Lube the grease fittings. Might want to look at the brakes as well.
Old 27 Feb 2010, 06:17 am
Obsessed Cruiser

2006-Up Pt Cruiser Spark Plug Removal.

Go to this link, it will show you how to change out the plugs. You do not have a EGR valve so you can disregard the info about the EGR pipe removal.

BTW, Welcome to the Forum!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 27 Feb 2010, 09:10 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscool825 View Post
so all that is needed are new spark plugs??? I don't know how to change spark plugs. The only thing I changed on the car was the tail lights because the bulbs blew out.
Wires and spark plugs and pcv valve. If you don't feel comfortable doing it and you have a trusted mechanic, than do some forum reading and order some quality parts and let your mechanic put them in. If you decide to do it yourself it's not very hard if you have a place to work, I just did mine the other day it wasn't hard but the weather made it non enjoyable.

I have a thread running on spark plugs, some good advice in it from some of the guys. I'm also very happy with the selection of parts I made.
Old 06 Mar 2010, 02:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

I am goingto auto zone later today to get the spark plugs. Now I have a 2007 base model PT. On the autozone website they have different types of spark plugs. Which one should I get? The Platinum plugs or the Iridium plugs. Also what is the difference between the two?
Old 07 Mar 2010, 09:54 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscool825 View Post
I am goingto auto zone later today to get the spark plugs. Now I have a 2007 base model PT. On the autozone website they have different types of spark plugs. Which one should I get? The Platinum plugs or the Iridium plugs. Also what is the difference between the two?

If you have a turbo don't get the Platinum from what I have read they don't hold up in the turbos, I bought the Denso Iridium, very happy and so far happy with the way the car runs. If you haven't done the wires yet you may want to the stock ones suck monkey butt