PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Transmission Servicing - The best options for doing so?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Feb 2010, 10:44 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Transmission Servicing - The best options for doing so?

Hello everyone,

I've had my Cruiser for well over a year now. It's a 2001, auto, 126,XXX miles. I know the previous owner really well, and he only had the car worked on at two places (small shop and dealer). He had the transmission "serviced" whenever it was needed. Now that the car is nearing 30,000 since the transmission has been serviced, what needs to be done?

I understand there is debate over whether a flush should be done, pan drop and filter replacement, or nothing at all. Based on the consensus of ownership, what do you guys recommend? I know that the transmission pan tends to leak after a pan drop because of the gasket, so I'm not sure I want do that...

Thanks for any advice whatsoever.
Old 27 Feb 2010, 02:21 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Transmission Servicing - The best options for doing so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrosenthal View Post
Hello everyone,

I've had my Cruiser for well over a year now. It's a 2001, auto, 126,XXX miles. I know the previous owner really well, and he only had the car worked on at two places (small shop and dealer). He had the transmission "serviced" whenever it was needed. Now that the car is nearing 30,000 since the transmission has been serviced, what needs to be done?

I understand there is debate over whether a flush should be done, pan drop and filter replacement, or nothing at all. Based on the consensus of ownership, what do you guys recommend? I know that the transmission pan tends to leak after a pan drop because of the gasket, so I'm not sure I want do that...

Thanks for any advice whatsoever.
Lost the auto tranny on our '01 at 82k. Did the tranny service at 50k like the book said. When we got an automatic '04 I asked the dealer about the crappy 41TE auto tranny and he told me, off the record, that tranny service needed to be done every 30k alternating between a drain and fill and a full flush. The '04 now has over 136k following the 30/30 plan. I have never had a problem with the tranny pan leaking after the flush. That's just not true.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 01 Mar 2010, 06:32 pm
Regular Cruiser

Went to Valvoline instant oil change today and they flushed it with MaxLife ATF fluid...I just wanted to make sure that this is the correct fluid and they didn't put in anything that isn't acceptable....

Thanks everyone!
Old 01 Mar 2010, 06:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Paul,

Chrysler is very picky about using only ATF+4 fluid. See if you can obtain a container of that Valvoline fluid to see if it says anything about being comparable to ATF+4.

If you were reading the forums about when and if a change should be done you should have seen almost all of us recommending that only ATF+4 be used.

From ALLPAR.com:

When you change your transmission fluid, always use the recommended fluid.

Don't assume your mechanic or dealer knows what fluid to use. Ask them what they will use and make sure it's the right one. (Some people recommend watching the mechanic pour it in, and for good reason! We have been told about mechanics who said they were using ATF+4 when they were not. Is a customer's transmission worth the $10 for better fluid?)

All Chrysler four-speed and six-speed automatic transmissions* are very sensitive to the quality of the transmission fluid. Only use the ATF+4 in these transmissions. Do not use Dexron or Mercon.

Several companies now sell "universal" fluids. If they state that they are compatible with ATF+4®, they may work well, especially for those unsure of which fluid to use. The Center for Quality Assurance warned us to check the label for Chrysler’s license number, and to make sure the fluid is on their list of ATF+4® licensed and tested fluids.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 01 Mar 2010, 08:20 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thanks for your response Crewzin. I actually did read quite a bit up on it, but took Valvoline's service (believe me, if something happens, they will be paying for it ). My receipt says "MAXATFB". Does anyone know if this is compatible?

Thanks!

Paul

Last edited by paulrosenthal; 01 Mar 2010 at 09:32 pm.
Old 01 Mar 2010, 08:22 pm
Regular Cruiser

Ok, this is the link to the fluid I believe they used: Valvoline.com > Products > Automatic Transmission Products > Automatic Transmission Fluid > MaxLife® DEX/MERC ATF
Old 01 Mar 2010, 08:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

From what I'm reading in your link under the FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions), there is a Valvoline+4 which is different than what they used on yours. I'm no expert on this so can't tell you if yours is what is recommended but it doesn't seem so. Maybe you should ask them point blank saying Chrysler states that +4 should be used.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 01 Mar 2010, 08:46 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
From what I'm reading in your link under the FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions), there is a Valvoline+4 which is different than what they used on yours. I'm no expert on this so can't tell you if yours is what is recommended but it doesn't seem so. Maybe you should ask them point blank saying Chrysler states that +4 should be used.
Ok, I did see that. I'll give them a call tomorrow. Thanks so much for your assistance CREWZIN!
Old 01 Mar 2010, 08:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

No problem. Good luck.

Old 01 Mar 2010, 10:51 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post

Your link
#

Does Valvoline make a synthetic ATF?

Yes. Valvoline makes several synthetic ATF's. MaxLife Dexron/Mercon ATF, Mercon V ATF, ATF +4 and Dexron VI are all synthetic.

Yeah it looks like the wrong one