Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
P0340 Code.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Feb 2010, 07:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default P0340 Code.

Wife went to leave the house last night, car wouldn't start. Cranks, won't turn over. Checked the codes, P0340 (Cam Position Sensor). Picked up a replacement CPS today, put it in, car still won't start. Checked the wiring, looks okay. Also made sure nothing was hanging down and rubbing on moving parts (axles, etc).

Anyone else have this happen as well? Did you replace the Crank Position Sensor next?

I'm thinking that it's going to be the next attempt, hopefully it takes care of it. Would be nice if it was the CRANK sensor, the code would tell you "CRANK SENSOR" and not the generic "CAM SENSOR" fault. Could be a mess of different crap. ugh.

Car had ZERO signs of the CPS deteriorating (bogging, cutting out, etc)... so kida sucks it just happened out of nowhere.

Anyone have a decent picture of where the Crank Position Sensor is located? I've got a general idea, but something specific would be cool...

Thanks in advance!
Old 27 Feb 2010, 08:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: P0340 Code.

What's your mileage? A broken timing belt will give you the same code.

On the early models it's located above the oil filter.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 27 Feb 2010, 08:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
What's your mileage? A broken timing belt will give you the same code.

On the early models it's located above the oil filter.
That is true, and I found the easyest way to tell is to crank the engine. The cranking rhythm, the tone and speed will not sound the same. Often its just seems to spin like an electric motor, minus the rrrrr sound just neeeeeeee
Old 27 Feb 2010, 08:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I was also told by my mechanic that if you take off the Camshaft sensor and have someone look at the end of the cam it will not turn/spin when you crank over the engine if the timing belt is broke.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 28 Feb 2010, 11:29 am
Fresh Cruiser

I'll definitely check today.

Cranking with a broken belt, this motor isn't an interference motor? Don't want to be bending up valves lol.
Old 28 Feb 2010, 02:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
I was also told by my mechanic that if you take off the Camshaft sensor and have someone look at the end of the cam it will not turn/spin when you crank over the engine if the timing belt is broke.

.... fairly certain this is the issue.

Took the CPS off, eyeballed (there are three 'dimples' in the end of the cam) marks on the cam and hopped in the car, tried to start, came back out, and I'm fairly certain they are still in the same place.

I've tried multiple times, and unless my eyes are playing tricks on me, the cam isn't spinning.

I'll have to have the wife try to start it up while I'm looking at it under the hood.

If it is a timing belt, major bummer. We just bought this car a few weeks ago, and it looks like we were scammed a bit. Airbags deployed (and never replaced), crap like that.

Old 28 Feb 2010, 04:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post

I'll have to have the wife try to start it up while I'm looking at it under the hood.

Just have her touch the starter not keep it spinning or you can probably take a marker pen and put a dot on one of the dimples.

Old 01 Mar 2010, 08:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Update -

It's the belt. Half-snapped. Feel better knowing for sure now...

Anyone know if this can be done without removing the A/C?

Done more than a few timing belts, never had to remove the A/C for one. If I do, what's the safe/correct way to remove it? (The A/C lines, that is...)
Old 01 Mar 2010, 08:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Had a mechanic do mine and he removed the A/C lines but I've read on these forums that it can be done by just moving them till you can gain access to whatever your working on. The whole job is not easy and even the experienced guys on this forum say it's a PITA especially making sure everything is lined up just right while putting it back together.

Old 01 Mar 2010, 08:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Timming Belt Change Help-Getting to tensioner

Sweet. ^^^.

Looks like this weekend I'd be doing it. Dammit and I was going to be working on the truck this weekend too. bah!