Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
leaky rims

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Mar 2010, 03:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default leaky rims

does anyone out there have problems with 17inch chrome rims leaking air or nitrogen.? i put air in tree times a week
Old 01 Mar 2010, 03:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: leaky rims

Apparently you didn't search the topic on this forum. Loads of owners have/had the same problem. The chrome starts to peel on the edge and the tire doesn't seal properly letting it leak. You can have the offending wheel(s) taken off, tire taken off the rim, rim sanded and sealed and placed back together. In most cases if that's done right, the leak will stop.

It seems there's just a couple years that the chrome 17 inch wheels started to peel. Other years are OK. I traded up to 17 inch off an 05 vert about 4 years ago and have never had a leak problem. Saying that, I don't live in a state with snow and salt which could be one cause of the problem.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 17 May 2010, 09:37 pm
Senior Cruiser

Hm? I have a 2003 with 16 inch chrome-clad Chrysler rims, and one of the tires leaks a bit. Big O (who made the tires) said the problem was the edge of the rim. They cleaned the rim edge and re-installed the tire. It still leaks--but not as much. My rims do not appear to be chrome on the edges, however--the spoke face of the rim is merely "chrome-clad", so I don't know if this is the problem with my 16 inchers or not. I'm going to replace the stem to see if I also had a problem with that. Let me know if Cruzin's idea pans out with you.

Tim
Old 17 May 2010, 09:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Tim,

The poster put that thread in 2 months ago and never came back to the forum after I posted an answer so I don't think your going to get an answer from him/her.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 18 May 2010, 05:15 pm
Senior Cruiser

Crewzin, I took your advice and saw how the forum worked--but apparently I've not learned to "date" the posts. It made no difference to me, though. I put in my two cents regarding my 16 inch chrome-clad spokes to see if anyone else had had this problem. The previous guy mentioned 17 inch wheels.
Old 18 May 2010, 05:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

No problem, lots of folks doing a search see a post that's related to what their problem is but neglect to see the date it was posted on. If they ask a question to the old post about their new problem we just like to tell the poster not to expect an answer. It's better to start a new thread and hopefully receive new answers from the members that are active today.