Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Periodic idle problem.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Mar 2010, 10:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Periodic idle problem.

I have a 03 stage 1 high output turbo. The problem I am having is a periodic studder when accelerating from a stop or coming to a stop. It only happens every so often. The car has 83,000 miles on it. I have replaced the fuel injectors( came with new ones when the stage 1 kit was installed ) new spark plugs, wires, new idle air control valve, pcv valve, new timing belt, and I have cleaned the throttle body. The car had this periodic problem even before the stage 1 kit was put in. Its driving me crazy!!! The car still runs like brand new, except for when it does this periodic studder, just every once in a while. I am wondering if I should remove the throttle body and do a parts dip cleaning because when I fist cleaned the throttle body it seemed to reduce this studder, but did not eliminate it completely. Anyone have any Ideas?
Old 02 Mar 2010, 06:23 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Periodic idle problem.

Idle smooth?
After plugs & wires, second most common cause seems to be intake gasket - usually gives a rough idle.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 02 Mar 2010, 10:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Idle smooth?
After plugs & wires, second most common cause seems to be intake gasket - usually gives a rough idle.
Idles well, drives well, just the peskie studder. The intake gasket was changed when the stage 1 kit was put in, less than 5,000 miles ago. Any other ideas???
Old 03 Mar 2010, 07:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

You still have the old plugs and wires? Put them back in & see - I'm betting ignition...
Old 03 Mar 2010, 10:10 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to IMIEIW

Just a silly question? Since you had the gasket changed, have you checked the torque on the bolts? Seems like you tried everything else. Good luck
Old 03 Mar 2010, 09:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMIEIW View Post
Just a silly question? Since you had the gasket changed, have you checked the torque on the bolts? Seems like you tried everything else. Good luck
I actually did check the torque on those, also sprayed throttle body cleaner around the manifold to listen for any changes in idle, no leak there. Its so weird, I have never had this problem in any other car before, and I've had lots of experience. I do think it is the plugs and wires, other than the fact that they are pretty new, i've noticed in my experience that if the plugs and wires are the culprit, the car runs rough all the time, not just every once in a while, and only when coming to a stop or taking off.
This car is a machine, so I know this problem is fixable
Old 05 Mar 2010, 05:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgennuso View Post
i've noticed in my experience that if the plugs and wires are the culprit, the car runs rough all the time, not just every once in a while, and only when coming to a stop or taking off.
:
At about 20,000 miles, I'd get a "skip" or a "miss" every now and then - I replaced plugs and wires and it went away and never came back.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 06 Mar 2010, 10:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok, I double checked the plugs and wires today. Plugs had to regapped to .40, wires still look new( just put on less than 8,000 miles ago). I've done lots of research and I think my problem may be the MAP sensor. I've replaced everything but that. I know its dumb to throw parts at a problem but I like knowing most the sensors are new now..lol. Gonna search the parts stores tomorrow for the MAP, lets hope thats the problem.
Old 07 Mar 2010, 09:23 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgennuso View Post
Ok, I double checked the plugs and wires today. Plugs had to regapped to .40, wires still look new( just put on less than 8,000 miles ago). I've done lots of research and I think my problem may be the MAP sensor. I've replaced everything but that. I know its dumb to throw parts at a problem but I like knowing most the sensors are new now..lol. Gonna search the parts stores tomorrow for the MAP, lets hope thats the problem.
From what I have been reading a lot of guys with turbos have lowered the gap on the plugs, I don't have a turbo but I believe they were setting the gap around .35
Old 07 Mar 2010, 03:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I did notice a smoother idle when I changed the spark plug gap to .40, but still the hesitation and sometimes almost stalling when taking off. I don't want to gap as low as .35, cos I read that iridium plugs( the ones I have) shouldn't go lower than .37.
I'm gonna order my MAP sensor today, cos my car is having all the symptoms of a bad one, or one thats starting to fail. We'll see.