Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Battery Cable Confusion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Mar 2010, 01:48 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Battery Cable Confusion

did an engine swap on an 01 pt cruiser for a friend and had some bad battery cables. got new mopar cables from my local dealership and installed them, car would not crank or start. attached the tab to the starter, now it cranks but still wont start. i have a lone free connector from the positive cable and no idea where it goes. i've tried seeing where its supposed to go but am stumped. i'm positive its preventing the car from starting but i just need help. attached is a picture of the connector. please advise, thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0245[1].jpg (90.6 KB, 31 views)
Old 03 Mar 2010, 01:50 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Battery Cable Confusion

That is chasis ground. Goes on left side of battery with another cable running towards firewal.
Old 03 Mar 2010, 02:04 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzrntz View Post
That is chasis ground. Goes on left side of battery with another cable running towards firewal.
safe to assume the car won't start with it ungrounded then? i'll see what i can do to ground it out.
Old 03 Mar 2010, 07:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Be sure you never ground a positive cable, there are two positives.
The starter solenoid leg and the control box leg right behind the air box.
Old 04 Mar 2010, 01:35 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne View Post
Be sure you never ground a positive cable, there are two positives.
The starter solenoid leg and the control box leg right behind the air box.
ok it starts and runs, but i have this issue;

the engine idles poorly and the throttle races if you even breathe on the pedal.
Old 05 Mar 2010, 07:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Given that short video, I would say a vacuum leak. Could be lines not connected at the back of the intake facing the fire wall, check both ends. There are others as well. I would look at the intake gaskets as well. With an exhaust noise hearing a vacuum leak would be unlikely so you have to feel around for something missing... Nice to see ya install an engine, good job ! The little things left will get resolved in time. Good luck
Old 05 Mar 2010, 10:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveability View Post
Given that short video, I would say a vacuum leak. Could be lines not connected at the back of the intake facing the fire wall, check both ends. There are others as well. I would look at the intake gaskets as well. With an exhaust noise hearing a vacuum leak would be unlikely so you have to feel around for something missing... Nice to see ya install an engine, good job ! The little things left will get resolved in time. Good luck
thanks for the compliments. this car has been a little tougher than i thought. i specialize in mazdas and this is the first chrysler swap i've been involved in since my brother's 96 neon engine popped.

there was a broken stud between the two manifold plenums on the intake side, so i'm going to replace that and see if that smoothes out the problems.