Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Adjusting Gas Pedal Sensitivity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Mar 2010, 08:41 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Adjusting Gas Pedal Sensitivity

I have an '01 automatic that I purchased last year. I've noticed that (when the engine is off) the gas pedal seems a little loose. When the engine is on, you have to push quite a bit to get the RPMs up.

How (if even possible) can I adjust the pedal (tighten/loosen) or adjust related cables or linkage (is this car a drive by wire?)? I checked the throttle body and the wire that leads through the firewall doesn't look adjustable.

Thanks for your response, everyone!
Old 08 Mar 2010, 09:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Adjusting Gas Pedal Sensitivity

If you have cruise control there's a double cable/wire that runs over the upper intake and onto metal spring loaded wheels. One cable is for the cruise control, the other is the throttle body. You can check to see if there's some sort of adjustment on those cables. They should be tight around the wheels. Any slack and that will be your loose feeling at the gas pedal.

The yellow asterisk is pointing to the IAC (Idle Air Controller).

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 08 Mar 2010, 09:24 pm
Regular Cruiser

Crewzin,

Thanks for your response. I know you've responded to some of my other questions, you are very knowledgeable! I have updated your picture so I can reference what I am talking about below. My description skills aren't the best.

If you'll check number one, both throttle cables are pretty loose. The loosest, though, and clearly so (isn't even on the spring, I guess it "connects" on use), is the one that points to number one, which I assume is the cruise control.

I can't find a way to tighten either of these...I'm hoping I'm just missing something.

Thanks again.
Old 08 Mar 2010, 09:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

#1 box. As I said, one of those wires goes directly to the cruise control in the far left corner (#2), the other comes around and goes to the firewall and up to the gas pedal (I think). They are both attached to that spring loaded wheel and there's hardly any slack on either wire. I'm not sure how to adjust the slack out of it but that's probably your problem, too much slack.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 08 Mar 2010, 09:35 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
#1 box. As I said, one of those wires goes directly to the cruise control in the far left corner (#2), the other comes around and goes to the firewall and up to the gas pedal (I think). They are both attached to that spring loaded wheel and there's hardly any slack on either wire. I'm not sure how to adjust the slack out of it but that's probably your problem, too much slack.
Ok, that's what I was thinking. The service manual (from what I can find) doesn't mention tightening it, and I can't find it on the Internet anywhere.

Thanks.
Old 10 Mar 2010, 01:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrosenthal View Post
Ok, that's what I was thinking. The service manual (from what I can find) doesn't mention tightening it, and I can't find it on the Internet anywhere.

Thanks.
I have the same thing going on, I need to tighten up my slack on my throttle cable. but I have no idea how to on the cruiser.

if you find the answer, please post it on here so I can fix this on my car also.
Old 10 Mar 2010, 04:44 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04PurplePT View Post
I have the same thing going on, I need to tighten up my slack on my throttle cable. but I have no idea how to on the cruiser.

if you find the answer, please post it on here so I can fix this on my car also.
Please do the same for me if you find out how.
Old 10 Mar 2010, 06:54 pm
Senior Cruiser

My 04 is a little odd also, it has a firmer pedal than I'm used to I find it's very hard to take off easy from a light. I'm getting used to it though.
Old 13 Mar 2010, 04:22 pm
Regular Cruiser

Did anyone ever figure out a solution for this?
Old 13 Mar 2010, 08:13 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
My 04 is a little odd also, it has a firmer pedal than I'm used to I find it's very hard to take off easy from a light. I'm getting used to it though.
I agree... its taken a bit to get used to.

2010 Classic in Deepwater Blue w/Grey Interior
2008 Bullitt Mustang #901