PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Pete and Repeat were sitting on a wall....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Mar 2010, 12:49 am
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Pete and Repeat were sitting on a wall....

ok first off, let me say I am sorry if this topic's been beaten to a pulp, in all fairness, I searched "engine light" and read some snarky guy's comments about the beloved cruiser and his affintity with crown victorias and explorers....whatever...

I need real help people... I have had my 2006 basic model (auto trans) cruiser for almost a month and the check engine light has come on twice....first time, I raced right down to my local mechanic (he loves me 'cause I used to own a freelander and he made a lot of money off me and my P.O.S.) anyways, he smiles when he sees me chuggin' down the driveway towards his shop. He kept my car for two days (I think he was diggin driving it around town) and ended up telling me there was no obvious issue, he checked hoses and whatnot and aside from some axle vibration, I should be good to go. He reset the switch, told me to mind the gas cap and patted me on the head while sending me out the door fifty bucks lighter. Well, as luck would have it, the check engine light came on again today on my way to work. I am freaking out...do I dare take it back....do I find someone with "new eyes" to check out my baby? I must mention I love, love, love this car, so um I am not looking to rid myself of it at this point, but the anxiety associated with error lights is keeping me up at night. Any PT Gurus have a clue? Thanks in advance for any assistance...I am way out of my comfort level with this.

Last edited by WldWcnWmn; 09 Mar 2010 at 12:52 am. Reason: cause I can't proof read
Old 09 Mar 2010, 06:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Pete and Repeat were sitting on a wall....

Get the codes:
How to retrieve fault codes.

Google them.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 09 Mar 2010, 07:36 am
Obsessed Cruiser

As always, got to agree with QSD. If for some reason, your unable to retrieve the codes yourself (even after reading my instructions on the above posted link, drive yourself to one of the auto stores (Pep Boys, Auto Zone, Discount Auto, even AAMCO transmissions advertises that they'll read the codes for free) and find out what the computer is telling you.

Then either Google the "fault code" like QSD mentioned, or come back here under the "Tech & Performance" section of the forum and look for the sticky that tells you what the code is.

Still not sure, come back to this thread and tell us what you found.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 09 Mar 2010, 10:16 am
Senior Cruiser

If you have an autozone go their over petboys or other repair places because they may try to sell you a costly repair. They may be telling the truth buts it's always good to check the codes with guys like the ones that posted above me because they know a ton about the quirks of these PT's