Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Overheating 2001

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Mar 2010, 01:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Overheating 2001

I have read almost every post on overheating! I am crosseyed and cross brained now!! But still no resolution to my overheating. It is a 2001 with 202K miles. Radiator has 2k miles on it. New thermostat, timing belt, and water pump installed this week. Wired the fan direct to be always on and on high speed. Fresh coolant with the air bled out. No water in the oil, no oil in the water, no water/steam/white smoke out of the tailpipe. Still overheating! I can drive sometimes 15 or so miles, but sometimes can only drive 2 miles before it starts. It is actually overheating as the coolant boils. The temp is controlled for a brief period as it heats up and the thermostat opens the engine maintains a normal operation temp for a period of time. It appears to maybe be a circulation problem, because as it overheats I get cool air blowing from the vents with the temp control set to max hot. I am completely at the end and welcome any feedback possible. I am sure there is something that I am missing, just can't come to it! Thanks!!!
Old 09 Mar 2010, 01:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Overheating 2001

Welcome to the forums.
Have you bled the system?Bleeder is by thermostat - air in system would be why heater gives cool air.
Also try a new radiator cap.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 09 Mar 2010, 01:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Forgot that on the list of parts - new radiator cap and bled out the coolant! Thanks!
Old 09 Mar 2010, 02:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Then you have a blockage if cabin heater blows cold air...
Old 09 Mar 2010, 02:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Could it be an intermittent blockage? Because it will blow hot, cold, then hot again without moving the temp control. Is there a valve or some other flow control on the coolant circulating in the heater core that could be sticking or have a minimal blockage? Thanks for your help and insight!!
Old 09 Mar 2010, 03:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

No valve that I know of or shown in the coolant flow.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 09 Mar 2010, 04:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the diagram!
Anyone ever heard of water passages in the head or block becoming clogged? It is about the only thing that I can come up with at this point.
I bought the car from the original owner about 2 weeks ago knowing it was overheating. Never could have imagined the headache that I have gotten into. Really looking forward to getting this behind me and enjoying my PT!
Old 09 Mar 2010, 04:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Reading over everything you did including the wiring of the fan to always be on, the only thing left should be a blockage somewhere that won't let the coolant circulate. You wouldn't think all the water passages could be blocked at one time unless the previous owner or someone that had vandalized the engine poured something into the oil filler to make it block up.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 09 Mar 2010, 04:27 pm
Regular Cruiser

There is one thing that most of us don't like to consider--the new thermostat is bad out of the box.

The thermostat shuts down water flow to the heater core until the water reaches operating temp--should it fail--it can shut down water flow to the heater core and through the radiator resulting in higher than normal temperatures registering on the guage while the heater blows cool.

The fact that it is intermittent leads me to the thermostat either it is failing ocassionally, or the gasket is inpeding operation or heaven forbid--it is installed backwards.

Keep us informed as to what you find.
Old 09 Mar 2010, 04:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I am positive the thermostat is in the correct direction - but you got me thinking. I still have the old one that came out, (symptoms did not change with new thermostat installed) I will drill out the center section and reinstall to see if that makes a difference! Thanks for the help - will keep you updated!