PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Game Time - Guess the leak location! Pics!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Mar 2010, 03:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Game Time - Guess the leak location! Pics!!

So here it goes. I have an oil leak. I will attach pics for examination. The substance is either motor oil or PS oil. They both seem to be the same color. The leak path seems to be coming from the passenger side. Leakage is maybe a dime size on the floor in the morning. I removed the shroud on the passenger side for some pics. The shroud had a good amount of old oil residue on it.

The car is a 2003 PT Cruiser GT 57K miles Auto, Turbo. I purchased this vehicle used from a Ford dealer with 56k miles on it. One owner. Florida car. No service records.

Winner gets a bag of Oranges or Grape Fruit. Your choice. Winner can be from Florida but no prize will be awarded. You can get your own oranges. Sorry.

Steve
Old 10 Mar 2010, 04:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Game Time - Guess the leak location! Pics!!

Well, I think I know where your leak is because I had one similar but wasn't too bad and only found when I had the timing belt changed. How come us Florida guys are eliminated from the prize?

Anyway, there's a good possibility that your leak is from the front Crankshaft seal.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 10 Mar 2010, 04:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

CREWZIN, is that just beyond the pulley in the second attached picture? It seems like it was coming from above that pulley but who knows. Any estimates on fix cost from a dealer? I won't attempt this.

Your so close, I could buy you a drink instead. I'm over in Lakeland.
Old 10 Mar 2010, 05:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Sorry, not sure if it's behind that pulley or right above it. My mechanic found the leak and I've seen other owners say theirs was leaking also so that was my guess. Oil leaks are funny too because wind and moving parts (rotation of the pulleys) can make oil go places other than where the leak is.

The only place I go near you is Lakeridge Winnery in the summer when they put on the weekend shows.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 10 Mar 2010, 09:29 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I'd go back to the dealer where you bought it. Some dealers give warranties on their used vehicles. We include a 3,000 mile warranty on all of our used vehicles.

If it's leaking after only 1k miles, it wouldn't hurt talking to them and seeing if they're willing to help.
Old 11 Mar 2010, 07:37 am
Fresh Cruiser

They told me "As Is" when I asked them about it. They orginally had it listed for $7800 and I purchased it for $5800. So, I doubt there going to offer any help fixing it.

I'm wondering if I should try to pick up an extended warranty somewhere. To see if that would cover this. Also, Chrysler didnt have any lifetime drivetrain warranty back than did they. If they did, I'm sure it was for just the original owner.

Last edited by skfloyd; 11 Mar 2010 at 07:42 am.
Old 11 Mar 2010, 03:58 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The lifetime powertrain warranty was not around in 2003, and you're right, was only for the original owner.

Aftermarket service contracts do not cover pre-existing conditions, so you might have trouble getting it covered.
Old 11 Mar 2010, 04:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

If I cleaned it up real well, I doubt they would even no anything. It's not like it leaks that bad.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 07 Apr 2010, 04:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well finally back from the dealer. It turns out it was a leaking oil pump. They are saying they have to tear a lot down to fix it. I told them to replace the timing belt while they are in there. They are also goning to replace a gear pack in the tranny due to noise between 30 and 40. Without it for a week waiting for parts.

It turned out to be under the 7/70 warranty until June. I got very lucky. I need a little of that at this time in life. Enough other bad stuff happening.
Old 07 Apr 2010, 05:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

So, no one wins?? At least the dealer is willing to take care of the problem for you. Keep him in mind for your service in the future.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar