Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Any ideas??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Mar 2010, 08:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Any ideas??

I have a 2003 pt non turbo. My check engine light recently came on while taking a trip with my family. I was traveling about 65mph when suddenly the car seemed to lose its power. I could not gain any speed and my car began to run a little rough. I immediately turned around and luckily made it home. After reading many of the threads here I checked for the codes and discovered p0300 - p0351- p0440- p0456 . I am limited in mechanics
know-how so I was hoping someone could assist me. I believe the codes indicate a misfire and an EVAP problem. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 12 Mar 2010, 09:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Any ideas??

From PT Do-It-Yourself.net:

Fault Code P0300 - Multiple Cylinder Misfire

A misfire code in a specific cylinder (P0301-Cylinder #1, P0302- Cylinder #2, etc.) usually indicates a possible problem with a plug or ignition wire. A P0300 code indicates the misfire is random and moving around from cylinder to cylinder. The cause here would likely be something that upsets the engine's air/fuel mixture, such as a major vacuum leak, leaky EGR valve or unusually low fuel pressure (weak pump or faulty regulator).

P0351 - Ignition Coil Primary # 1 Circuit - Peak primary circuit current not achieved with maximum dwell time. Possible causes include:

Ignition Coil
ASD Relay Output Circuit
Ignition Coil Driver Circuit Open
Coil Control Circuit Shorted To Ground
PCM

P0440 - General EVAP System Failure

Possible causes include:

Visual and Physical Inspection
Evap Purge Solenoid Vacuum Supply Inspection
Evap Purge Solenoid Stuck Closed
NVLD Switch Operation
(Z1) Ground Circuit Open
NVLD Assembly
NVLD Switch Signal Circuit Open
Evaporative Emission Leak Detection
PCM

Fault P0456 - Evap System Small Leak

The Powertrain diagnostic manual lists the following possible causes:

Intermittent Condition

A DRB scan tool and automotive test equipment are used in conjunction with the manual to troubleshoot the fault. If you want to take a shot at resolving it on your own, part of the troubleshooting process includes a visual/physical inspection of the Evap system that a DIY'er could perform.

Sounds like you might have to get hold of a diagnostic scanning tool to help narrow down the cause of all your faults. That last code (P0456) is one we usually see when the gas cap isn't tightened properly. It goes away after awhile when the cap is securely tightened.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 12 Mar 2010 at 09:48 pm.
Old 13 Mar 2010, 01:14 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Possible causes for P0300 are a fault somewhere in the fuel system, or erratic signals from the cam and/or crank sensors. Also, a bad PCM is also a possibility

Crewzin summed up the possible causes for P0351

Crewzin also summed up P0440 except for one key detail. There is a TSB on the 2003 Cruisers for emissions maintenance. It calls for a physical inspection of all rubber lines/hoses. Under this TSB, you should check every rubber hose and fitting under the hood. Replace any that are cracked or brittle. Replace any hose clamps that appear to be loose.

Your last code, as Crewzin stated, is most commonly set by a loose gas cap. This code is likely related to P0440. Perhaps when you started your trip, you left your gas cap loose?

However, a gas cap isn't the only possiblity. Check all of your hoses and fittings again. Basically, the code is set because you have an evap leak (vacuum leak) somewhere. Be it from the gas cap or a cracked vacuum hose under the hood. Check everything thoroughly.
Old 15 Mar 2010, 06:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Angry Re: Any ideas??I am having the same problems kind of. I got a PO304 and PO440 detect

I am having the same problems kind of. I got a PO304 and PO440 detected. I know that these are the cylinder 4 misfire detected and the EVAP system. I have changed the Cam position senser, fuel pump, changed plugs and wires, the idle air controller, the throdle position senser, and I did a compression check on the cylinders. Cylendier 1 & 2 are holding 155 lbs. Cylender 3 160 lbs and cylender 4 155lbs. My 2003 2.4 Turbo PT cruiser is still missing when idiling. What is the problem ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
From PT Do-It-Yourself.net:

Fault Code P0300 - Multiple Cylinder Misfire

A misfire code in a specific cylinder (P0301-Cylinder #1, P0302- Cylinder #2, etc.) usually indicates a possible problem with a plug or ignition wire. A P0300 code indicates the misfire is random and moving around from cylinder to cylinder. The cause here would likely be something that upsets the engine's air/fuel mixture, such as a major vacuum leak, leaky EGR valve or unusually low fuel pressure (weak pump or faulty regulator).

P0351 - Ignition Coil Primary # 1 Circuit - Peak primary circuit current not achieved with maximum dwell time. Possible causes include:

Ignition Coil
ASD Relay Output Circuit
Ignition Coil Driver Circuit Open
Coil Control Circuit Shorted To Ground
PCM

P0440 - General EVAP System Failure

Possible causes include:

Evap Purge Solenoid Vacuum Supply Inspection
Evap Purge Solenoid Stuck Closed
NVLD Switch Operation
(Z1) Ground Circuit Open
NVLD Assembly
NVLD Switch Signal Circuit Open
PCM

Fault P0456 - Evap System Small Leak

The Powertrain diagnostic manual lists the following possible causes:

Intermittent Condition

A DRB scan tool and automotive test equipment are used in conjunction with the manual to troubleshoot the fault. If you want to take a shot at resolving it on your own, part of the troubleshooting process includes a visual/physical inspection of the Evap system that a DIY'er could perform.

Sounds like you might have to get hold of a diagnostic scanning tool to help narrow down the cause of all your faults. That last code (P0456) is one we usually see when the gas cap isn't tightened properly. It goes away after awhile when the cap is securely tightened.
Old 15 Mar 2010, 06:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

DThacker29,

You didn't mention what you have/did with plugs and wires. What are they and when was the last time they were changed? What gap did you use? What year is your PT and what's your mileage?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 15 Mar 2010, 06:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I changed the plugs and wires yesterday. I used the Autolight platinum plugs and a set of bosch wires. I used a gap of .048 - .053 that is what the book called for. I am driving a 2003 PT cruiser 2.4 turbo with 165k miles. The old plugs were chalk white which told me they were running lean.
Old 15 Mar 2010, 06:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

OK, I take it your timing belt and water pump, tensioner and drive belt have been changed. If not, you driving on borrowed time.

I don't have the turbo but from what all the turbo owners are saying, your gap is to large. Chrysler narrowed the gap in the non-turbo from .050in to .040in and the turbo guys are running the gap around .040in. or lower depending on the plugs used.

While your in there re-gapping, change over the numbers #1 and 4 wires to see if the fault goes away or changes to P0301 which would mean a bad wire. Torque down per specs all the plugs and make sure all the wires are seated correctly.

Here's something to read:

Information on the Chrysler PT Cruiser

Old 22 Sep 2010, 11:49 am
Regular Cruiser

I know this is an older post. But I am new to the pt world. I have an 03 Pt Gt turbo. And its throwing these codes. P0300, P0201, P0480, P0443. I know the first and second codes its throwing could be related, and I think I remember reading about some pt's having evap problems on here. My pt is in the 130000mi range. I just put a new battery, alternator and belts on. Any help is appreciated. thanks.
Old 28 Feb 2012, 11:17 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thumbs up hopefully you guys still there helping people like me!!

I recently bought a 01 pt (non turbo)118xxx miles,manual gearbox,at the auction,with a small damage on left front suspension,after fix it take it to inspection station, and they told everything was fine just need to drive it at least 50 miles because something wasn't ready,so i drove it for 60 miles just to be sure and check engine light came on,take it back to the station and they told me about p0300 code,and could be fix it with tune up,so i replace sparks plugs for new bosh platinum +4,check wires and they are new,my concern is that the pt works pretty fine until warm up (normal temperature)30 to 40 min maybe more,and check engine light start to blinking for couple seconds then still on.I saw that the pt has a newcomputer, ECM?and looks brand new from dealer!! I up front apreciatte your help and all your old posts and know that you really know about pt's,I just want to get the inspection sticker!!the car it's in pretty good shape and i'm pretty sure the last owner gave it good life!! THANKS and GOD BLESS YOU ALL!!
Old 28 Feb 2012, 11:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

If the check-engine light is on, we need to have the code that's stored in the computer so we can help you.

Also, at 118xxx miles, you need to find out if the timing belt as changed. If not, you driving on borrowed time (as I said before) and it could break at any time.

To find the computer fault code, follow the instructions below.

How to retrieve fault codes.