Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
MPG

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Mar 2010, 05:43 am
Fresh Cruiser

Smile MPG

I HAVE OWNED MY CRUISER NOW FOR A YEAR , AND HAVE NEVER LIKED THE MPG. SO I HAD IT CONVERTED TO LPG, SPOT ON 50P A LTS. CLEANED THE AIR IDLE VALVE AND PCA VALVE.
ON GAS I AM KNOW GETTING 25 MPG AROUND TOWN. AT 60 MPH ON MOTORWAY 34.4 MPG HOWEVER IF YOU DROP DOWN TO 55 MPH MY MPG WENT UP TO 40.
I COVERED 270 MILES, 150 AT 60 MPH, TOPPED UP GAS =25LTS
THEN 120 MILES AT 55 , TOPPED UP GAS 15LTS

:
Old 14 Mar 2010, 08:20 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: MPG

First, welcome to the forum. Second, please don't use all capital letters when on any forum because it symbolizes that your SHOUTING.

Most of us wouldn't have the foggiest idea how to convert an N/A engine to use LPG. Is there instructions on the process of converting? Do you have pictures of what the engine compartment looks like after the conversion? I take it the fuel tank has to be changed to hold the LPG gas?

There's loads of owners on the forum looking for better gas mileage so how about some more information.

By your screen name, do I take it your in Wales? The diesel PT is sold over in Europe and you never here anyone on the forum that has one complain about fuel mileage. How does that compare with LPG?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 14 Mar 2010 at 08:23 am.
Old 14 Mar 2010, 09:46 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by apgwales View Post
I HAVE OWNED MY CRUISER NOW FOR A YEAR , AND HAVE NEVER LIKED THE MPG. SO I HAD IT CONVERTED TO LPG, SPOT ON 50P A LTS. CLEANED THE AIR IDLE VALVE AND PCA VALVE.
ON GAS I AM KNOW GETTING 25 MPG AROUND TOWN. AT 60 MPH ON MOTORWAY 34.4 MPG HOWEVER IF YOU DROP DOWN TO 55 MPH MY MPG WENT UP TO 40.
I COVERED 270 MILES, 150 AT 60 MPH, TOPPED UP GAS =25LTS
THEN 120 MILES AT 55 , TOPPED UP GAS 15LTS

:

I'm surprised natural gas usually gives you less MPG, but it works out because it now costs less than oil/gas. I would love to see how you did it and what was involved, it would be cool to be able to do if gas keeps on going up again.
Old 14 Mar 2010, 11:43 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hi, sorry about capitals; my car was fitted with liquid propaine gas the gas tank went where the spare tyre would have hung, the spare is now in the boot.
car can run either on petrol or gas, but starts on petrol for the first thew minits.however i try to avoid petrol due to the price 112 lts, compaired to 50p for gas.
the gas is injected into engine in the same way as petrol and it has it own ecu which links up with the cars ecu
trying to stop the engine running lumpy on tick over i finely found the problem,the air idle valve was not working to it best, a clean and a light oil also cleaned the pca valve, it was from doing these jobs that my mpg inproved (over here our gallon is bigger)
yes from wales uk
Old 14 Mar 2010, 08:38 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by apgwales View Post
Hi, sorry about capitals; my car was fitted with liquid propaine gas the gas tank went where the spare tyre would have hung, the spare is now in the boot.
car can run either on petrol or gas, but starts on petrol for the first thew minits.however i try to avoid petrol due to the price 112 lts, compaired to 50p for gas.
the gas is injected into engine in the same way as petrol and it has it own ecu which links up with the cars ecu
trying to stop the engine running lumpy on tick over i finely found the problem,the air idle valve was not working to it best, a clean and a light oil also cleaned the pca valve, it was from doing these jobs that my mpg inproved (over here our gallon is bigger)
yes from wales uk
It sounds like a great setup, Do you have a link to any information on it
Old 14 Mar 2010, 09:50 pm
Banned

Well this is what i am up to.
Old 15 Mar 2010, 09:33 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I wouldn't even know where to get Liquified Petroleum gas, so if I converted, wouldn't know where to fill up - and if I took a trip....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 15 Mar 2010, 10:06 am
Obsessed Cruiser

well in Missouri there are quite a few stations that sell LP My dad had a Chevy impala converted 20 years ago and it did good except in really cold weather Id for sure covert if there was a Kit you could have installed I can tell you the oil hardly ever got dirty when we ran the LP
Old 16 Mar 2010, 06:32 pm
Senior Cruiser

Years ago i drove a work truck that only used propane and after 200,000 miles the motor had to be torn down for rebuild due to oil pump going out. I knew the garage that did the work very good and got to hang out after work to see the insides.

It was unreal how new everything looked. Hardly no carbon on pistons, ports in heads looked new still.

Made me think about converting all my cars over but cost for kit and getting propane on the road kept me from doing it.
Old 17 Mar 2010, 03:17 am
Fresh Cruiser

Talking Re: MPG

My pt was converted by a garage, but it can be done on the drive. a good place to look is on E-bay. the systerms for lpg have advanced over the years. i will try to take some pictures of the install

we forget that, how do you post pictures!