PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

P0403 Error Code

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Mar 2010, 10:56 am
Young Cruiser

Default P0403 Error Code

I tried to do a search, but I couldn't come up with anything!

I have a 2002 that is showing this code, and obviously running really rough.

I have to get it fixed, and have a friend that could help me... is this something I can do myself, or better off with a mechanic?

Any ideas the approximate cost?

Thanks!! -Dana
Old 16 Mar 2010, 11:06 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: P0403 Error Code

According to PT Do-It-Yourself.net:

P0403 (M) EGR Solenoid Circuit - An open or shorted condition detected in the EGR solenoid control circuit.

The EGR and solenoid must be replaced. The new one has an upgraded part number. It costs about $60 and takes under an hour to install. They are a popular failure in the winter. It seems the moist air freezes inside the solenoid, causing the diaphragm to rupture.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 16 Mar 2010, 12:47 pm
Young Cruiser

I already found that. But it doesn't say if someone with no experience can do it! LOL

I know nothing about engines, but can follow directions. And I have a friend willing to help me.

Or is something like this too important to the car, to have just anyone attempt to replace it?
Old 16 Mar 2010, 01:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yes, there are members that have replaced the EGR by themselves. I have no instructions. Your is a 2002 so you should still have the hard pipe from the back of the upper manifold down to the EGR. In 2003 I'm pretty sure that hard pipe was eliminated which would make the job a lot easier.

MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Old 16 Mar 2010, 04:20 pm
Young Cruiser

Ok... makes me feel better... I already saved that link with those photos as well!!

I guess I am more concerned that I will screw something up, or is it as easy as it looks?

Also I have called all the parts places in a couple cities, and not only do they not have the valve, neither does their warehouses.

Most of them quote me about $90 plus shipping and tax.

I don't want to wait TOO long, but I have a friend that will help me replace it if I can find one by Sunday.
Old 16 Mar 2010, 04:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

It's as easy as it looks BUT, it's getting to it that makes it a little hard. Never did it myself but I've seen talk about it. Good luck in finding one.
Old 16 Mar 2010, 06:28 pm
Young Cruiser

Thanks... BUT... NO ONE has it!! Not even the dealers!

Seems they are backordered! It sounds like there is supposed to be a shipment of 400 that went out cross the country on March 10, so the dealers are hoping to see a few in the next week or two!!

SO... here's a question... can you take it off, clean it (presuming the valve is stuck) and put it back on? Any tips on how to clean it and with what?

Also, any recommendations for online parts places that I can check to see if anyone actually HAS one of these things?
Old 16 Mar 2010, 06:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

As I said, never had to deal with mine. You should be OK with parts cleaner that's available at any auto store and I use RockAuto Auto Parts for a lot of my parts I can't get locally.
Old 08 Apr 2010, 08:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Sorry for jumping in on the thread. I just bought a used 2001 PT Cruiser LX (155,160km/90k miles) yesterday and on the 90 minute highway drive home the car started 'bucking' at 50mph/80km *occasionally* without any apparent reason, ie flat road, uphill, on acceleration, on deceleration, cruise, no cruise. It just did not like that '52/83' speed. No engine overheating, rpm stayed steady at 2000 with one exception (that I saw) when it bounced to 2300/2500; returning to 2000 when bucking was done. I tried the key thing, couldn't get any codes until I did the alternative 'key, odometer, run, release' and then I got "04-03" which I'm hoping is this P0403 error code versus an incorrect date of April 3rd? I'm taking the car back to the dealer in the am but would like some idea what's happening. This is my first Cruiser and I'm loving it already.
Old 08 Apr 2010, 09:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Never heard of an alternative way of retrieving fault codes unless your talking about pushing the odometer button in while turning the key but all that does is test the dials on the dash. Is your PT by any change a diesel? We don't have an "LX" model in the lower 48. Anyway, if the 04-03 is the same as the P0403 then expect the dealer to change your EGR valve.