PT Cruiser Forum  
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Airbag Seat Sensor???

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 16 Mar 2010, 01:48 pm
Young Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 75
Default Airbag Seat Sensor???

Got that darn airbag light on again, and we took it to a shop where we know the owner, and they are telling me that the seat sensor is dead and causing the issue.

It makes sense that there was something wrong in the seat as there was a point where if you bounced in the seat hard enough the light would come off and on.

However I cant find a "seat sensor" on the internet.

Has anyone heard about this seat sensor? I just wanted to see what prices on it would be, as the mechanic is still looking a replacement part.

Thanks all....
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 16 Mar 2010, 02:17 pm
CREWZIN's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: West Central Florida
Posts: 24,117
Default Re: Airbag Seat Sensor???

I think what your looking for is the Occupant restraint Controller. I can't find anything in a search about a seat sensor. Now it's possible i missed it. But there sure is a lot on the controller and it might be a Chrysler only part.

The front airbag system electrical circuits are continuously monitored by a microprocessor and software contained within the Occupant Restraint Controller (ORC). The ORC also contains impact sensing elements, which are monitored by the ORC to determine when an impact occurs that is severe enough to require front airbag system protection. The Occupant Restraint Controller (ORC) is mounted on the tunnel floor pan, between the transmission shifter and parking brake, under the floor console. The impact sensing device is an accelerometer that senses deceleration, which provides verification of the severity of an impact.
__________________
......
...just CREWZIN along! . . . PT Cruiser Links Moderator
2000 PT. Original Owner, 118,000 miles
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 17 Mar 2010, 11:39 pm
Fanatic Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Billings, MT
Posts: 745
Default Re: Airbag Seat Sensor???

Was this on the driver's side or passenger's side? The "seat sensor" is called an occupancy sensor, and is located in the seat cushion. It detects when enough weight is placed on the seat to activate the airbag. They're replaced by pulling off the seat cover, and it's located right on top of the seat cushion.

They can be broken by placing abnormally shaped objects in the seat, such as kneeling on the seat, or any kind of blunt heavy object.
__________________
-Chris
2010 PT Cruiser Classic, Deep Water Blue
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 18 Mar 2010, 02:51 am
CREWZIN's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: West Central Florida
Posts: 24,117
Default Re: Airbag Seat Sensor???

Thanks for correcting that Chris.
__________________
......
...just CREWZIN along! . . . PT Cruiser Links Moderator
2000 PT. Original Owner, 118,000 miles
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 21 Apr 2010, 11:43 am
Young Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 75
Default Re: Airbag Seat Sensor???

Quote:
Originally Posted by heifetz17 View Post
Was this on the driver's side or passenger's side? The "seat sensor" is called an occupancy sensor, and is located in the seat cushion. It detects when enough weight is placed on the seat to activate the airbag. They're replaced by pulling off the seat cover, and it's located right on top of the seat cushion.

They can be broken by placing abnormally shaped objects in the seat, such as kneeling on the seat, or any kind of blunt heavy object.
So I thought we had this licked, as we have a friend who runs a shop and said he found this to be the problem, and ordered the replacement part.

However he has since fallen off the face of the earth.

I cant find anything on the internet about this occupancy sensor, and the dealer is being a jerk and still trying to tell me the whole air bag needs to be replaced.

Anyone know how to find this part, and what it would be "officially" called?


Another question is I am also having slight difficulties with the horn on the car. Sometimes when you press the horn it does nothing, and then if I hit it hard enough it will work for a while.

I have read somewhere that this could be contributed to a clock spring issue which also controls the airbag light? Any way to know and how difficult it is to replace.

Last edited by 2k1PT; 21 Apr 2010 at 11:52 am.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 01 May 2010, 06:18 am
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1
Default Re: Airbag Seat Sensor???

Hi,Im having simlar problems with the air bag light that seems to have a mind of its own and comes on at random times.
It happens more to me then my wife (im slightly larger then she is by about 8 stone!) so this seat sensor thing sounds like a good place to start.
Read on other places about problems with broken wirering inside the seat but havent made a start on finding fault yet..
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 02 May 2010, 12:50 am
Fanatic Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Billings, MT
Posts: 745
Default Re: Airbag Seat Sensor???

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k1PT View Post
So I thought we had this licked, as we have a friend who runs a shop and said he found this to be the problem, and ordered the replacement part.

However he has since fallen off the face of the earth.

I cant find anything on the internet about this occupancy sensor, and the dealer is being a jerk and still trying to tell me the whole air bag needs to be replaced.

Anyone know how to find this part, and what it would be "officially" called?


Another question is I am also having slight difficulties with the horn on the car. Sometimes when you press the horn it does nothing, and then if I hit it hard enough it will work for a while.

I have read somewhere that this could be contributed to a clock spring issue which also controls the airbag light? Any way to know and how difficult it is to replace.
I already told you it's called an "occupancy sensor". That's the "official" name for it.

I'd probably get another opinion. Your indy will not have the level of diagnostic equipment that the dealer has, and if they says it's the airbag itself, it's worth a trip to the next closest dealer for another opinion.

Another possibility is the pretensioner.
__________________
-Chris
2010 PT Cruiser Classic, Deep Water Blue
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 19 Jul 2010, 06:48 am
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1
Default Re: Airbag Seat Sensor???

I was told that you could put a resister in line with the airbag light and this would make it go out on drive.
has anyone heard of this
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 19 Jul 2010, 03:01 pm
Fanatic Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Billings, MT
Posts: 745
Default Re: Airbag Seat Sensor???

Quote:
Originally Posted by handymanstan View Post
I was told that you could put a resister in line with the airbag light and this would make it go out on drive.
has anyone heard of this
I wouldn't recommend it. Disabling or tampering with the airbag light is illegal.
__________________
-Chris
2010 PT Cruiser Classic, Deep Water Blue
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Airbag light ON sullyfla Tech & Performance Forum 5 29 Oct 2012 07:06 am
Drivers seat head/leg room; power seat vs. manual seat pstar General PT Cruiser Discussions 9 18 Oct 2010 11:07 am
Problem with Passenger Seat Airbag Sensor Orangestng General PT Cruiser Discussions 1 06 Aug 2009 04:35 pm
Cam Sensor code changed sensor still dead RottenKid Tech & Performance Forum 8 18 Nov 2008 07:17 am
Airbag lite on need help dafaic General PT Cruiser Discussions 2 03 Oct 2007 06:27 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:18 pm.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors