PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

2001 pt cruiser engine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Mar 2010, 10:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2001 pt cruiser engine

My poor pt blew a head casket. 80K miles. 1k to repair. If not cracked, if no engine damage and need to change pump and rubber band as well. lol Could cost over 2k in all. Picked it up and parked it. But never fear I will not give up on my baby. Decided to save and just get a new engine for her. Need some advice please. Should I get a brand new engine, rebuilt or used? I'm thinking new 'cause I'm never letting it go. I can't tell you the fun we had when we got it. (after 2 months wait) I could tell ya' stories. Anyway would a turbo engine refit work? Any performance engines available?
Where can I shop?
Thanks
Old 17 Mar 2010, 07:29 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 pt cruiser engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJBREAUX View Post
My poor pt blew a head casket. 80K miles. 1k to repair. If not cracked, if no engine damage and need to change pump and rubber band as well. lol Could cost over 2k in all. Picked it up and parked it. But never fear I will not give up on my baby. Decided to save and just get a new engine for her. Need some advice please. Should I get a brand new engine, rebuilt or used? I'm thinking new 'cause I'm never letting it go. I can't tell you the fun we had when we got it. (after 2 months wait) I could tell ya' stories. Anyway would a turbo engine refit work? Any performance engines available?
Where can I shop?
Thanks

2k sounds steep for the repair, I have seen engines on ebay pretty cheap. Also if it's an auto and your going to go turbo you will need to make some drive train changes.
Old 17 Mar 2010, 10:08 am
Obsessed Cruiser

A turbo engine could be made to fit, but you'd need the wiring harness and engine computer to go with it.
Much of the labor to do a head gasket is the same as for timing belt anyway -
you should not need a new engine just because of a head gasket.
Get another (or 2 or 3) estimates - $2K sounds very high.
'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 17 Mar 2010, 11:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

I know, I shouldn't need a new engine, I agree with what he said about possible damage to the head and cylinders that I may need a rebuild. I was thinking I'd cut to the chase and just buy one.
But, your right I need some more quotes. I KNOW the casket is shot, didn't need him to tell me that.
I'll call around, get prices go from there. I miss it already. MPG was ho hum, but it was way better than my Ram Hemi quad cab LB it's a hog.
Thanks
Old 17 Mar 2010, 11:35 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

How did the head gasket go? Did you overheat, or did it just go out? Unless you overheated severely, you will not be looking at possible head damage.

And even worst case senario, if you have head damage, you won't have any extra labor to replace the head since it has to be removed to get to the gasket. You'll pay more for an engine assy and the labor to replace it than you would for a new head, gasket, and timing belt.
Old 18 Mar 2010, 08:42 am
Fresh Cruiser

Yeah, it over heated. It ran hot on us just after the warranty ran out some years ago. Had the fan motor replaced. than about 6 months ago it ran hot, the thermostat broke off in the seat, I replaced that. Life was good, for a while. Then it started running hot off and on again couldn't find the leak but you could smell it. Took down the grill and brace, found the radiator cracked. Replaced it with the help of this forum. It got me on I-10 ,on a overpass and the engine shut down. Cooled down started right up. Parked it. Although I think that was the death note I believe the casket had been leaking for a while, over pressurized the radiator and cracked it along with destroying the thermostat. Problem most have stated small way back with the fan. I'm changing the pump, rest of the hoses and the timing belt as well when I do it. Got a wide rang of prices so far. But I'm save extra just in case there is more damage.
Thanks guys this forum is a life saver.
Old 28 Sep 2010, 04:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 pt cruiser engine Update

Update, well it took a while but I got her fixed. Went to 2 places for prices.
$1,800. Head needed work valves ok but new seats replaced. Motor mounts were replaced and new water pump + timing belt. A few other things as well.
Just glad it's fixed. My Ram cost us almost $300 a month in gas. Parked that bad boy. Well sell it most likely since we sold the rv, don't really need it anymore. May get a used small pickup.
Old 28 Sep 2010, 07:36 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 pt cruiser engine Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJBREAUX View Post
Update, well it took a while but I got her fixed. Went to 2 places for prices.
$1,800. Head needed work valves ok but new seats replaced. Motor mounts were replaced and new water pump + timing belt. A few other things as well.
Just glad it's fixed. My Ram cost us almost $300 a month in gas. Parked that bad boy. Well sell it most likely since we sold the rv, don't really need it anymore. May get a used small pickup.
I am sure that is less than swapping motor would run...
'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 28 Sep 2010, 04:05 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

1K for head gasket!? Thats a job that can be done in a day , assuming you didn't get any coolant in the cylinders , or damage your catalytic converter.
I say do it yourself! screw 1K thats insane
04 graphite(vroom!) N/A Limited 110,000 miles -original owner. Custom short ram intake ( CGS motor-sport pipe, specter open-end air filter, specter breathing hose),OEM spoiler, Pioneer receiver ,10" bazooka sub,Blue LED interior lighting, Bosch +4 plugs and Accel super stock 8mm universal plug wires.