Advertisements
Hello and need help...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Mar 2010, 11:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to RonCorrea Send a message via Yahoo to RonCorrea
Question Hello and need help...

Hi!

I have a 2007 PT Cruiser and my drivers side headlight burned out. I replaced it and nothing. I tried the bulb on the passengers side and it worked so I know it's not the bulb. I tested the headlight plug and I'm getting no voltage at all. I tried searching the owners manual to check for a fuse and found that the headlights don't have a fuse?! What gives? Does anyone know if there is a fuse elsewhere or a relay along the firewall that controls the headlights?

I searched the forums and googled these questions and found nothing. I'm hoping someone here on the PT Cruiser forums can help.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions...

Ron Correa
Old 20 Mar 2010, 12:10 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Hello and need help...

I am clueless on the issue that you have. All I can suggest is that you download the factory manual for your year. It is available elsewhere at this site. You might use the wiring diagram to track down a broken wire.

When I have electrical problems, I use a reliable algorithm to track them down. Basically, I start at the far end and work inward. So beginning at the socket, as you did, with a circuit tester is good. If the car had ever been in a fender-bender, my first guess is a broken wire at the bulb socket.

1. Is there power to the wire going to the socket? If yes, you need to fix that.
2. If no, then trace the wire to the first splice, looking for breaks or abrasions.
3. Is the splice OK? You may need to unwrap the electrical tape to inspect it.

Continue inward in this method and you'll find it eventually.

By the way, welcome to the forum! Please let us know what you find and how you fix it.

Last edited by Matt42; 20 Mar 2010 at 12:11 pm. Reason: More.
Old 20 Mar 2010, 05:36 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to IMIEIW

It does seem odd that you changed the bulb and still had no light on one side. Iis the new bulb firmly seated in the connector? Did you check for power? I'm thinking that both bulbs would be on the same circuit so I don't think a fuse would be your problem. Check for power with a meter and make sure the bulb is seated correctly. Where in NY NY are you? If you're close enough I have a meter.
Old 22 Mar 2010, 03:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to RonCorrea Send a message via Yahoo to RonCorrea

Matt42 - Thanks for the suggestions! I checked the splice and it seems okay. I don't seem to be getting any power to that plug.

IMIEIW - Thanks! The gesture in itself is appreciated. I'm on 12th Street between 6th and 7th Ave., where are you located?

By any chance, does anyone know where I can find a wiring diagram for the headlights? That might help.

Thanks againg!