Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
gas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Mar 2010, 12:32 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default gas

i read the owners manual for my 2001 pt cruiser and it says to use 87 unleaded gas and not premium gas, but i use unleaded plus think its fine what does everyone else use and any issuses...
Old 21 Mar 2010, 12:39 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: gas

I use premium 91, mainly because mine is brand new and I want to start off using high quality gas, and partly because if you cheap out and put regular in it, you're only saving maybe $1.50 per tank. For the extra couple bucks, I'll put the good stuff in!
Old 21 Mar 2010, 06:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Virtually nothing is gained by filling up with a premium or more expensive grade of fuel

Regular Versus Premium Gasoline

USATODAY.com - Why use premium gas when regular will do?

Do You Really Need Premium?

Premium vs. Regular Gas: How to Decide - What Should I Know About Premium vs. Regular Gasoline? - Epinions.com

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 21 Mar 2010, 09:30 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I'm not going to look through each of those links, but I'll say this. AKI is anit-knock index. I believe the compression ratio in the new PTs is 9:1 or a little higher. Not sure about the older ones.

That being said, you don't want to put fuel with a low AKI in a high compression engine. The fuel will tend to ignite sooner than premium fuel and cause knocking, which is why manufactures put knock sensors in their cars.

Haven't you ever seen the result of predetonation on a piston?

So yes, there is a difference!

Here's a good example of predetonation. The piston is travelling up the first cylinder, when it reaches the top of the bore in the second cylinder, the gas and air in the combustion chamber ignites, forcing the piston back down, but in the third cylinder when the piston is still in the up stroke and the gas ignites too soon (regular or low grade gas) it causes what happened in the second picture.

This is the result of predetonation. Using low grade gas in a high compression engine:

Last edited by heifetz17; 21 Mar 2010 at 09:39 am.
Old 21 Mar 2010, 09:47 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Believe what you want. The non-turbo engine was designed to use a regular grade of gasoline and there's over a million PT's (thousands on this forum) that have been using regular for billions upon billions of miles with no ill effects.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 21 Mar 2010, 09:51 am
Fanatic Cruiser

They're not from a PT, but real life results speak louder than internet articles. Remember that I work in a dealership with a service shop? I see this kinda thing on a regular basis. Perhaps not on PTs, but other high compression models.

BTW, 87 is not 'regular' gas up here in Montana. Regular is 85.5, and I know people that won't even put that in their lawn mowers!
Old 21 Mar 2010, 02:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Now that, I will agree on. 87 is the lowest I would go. Around here, 87 is low and there's only one station in my county that is carrying Ethanol Free gas. Its a couple cents higher but I go out of my way to fill up with it in the PT and my Vette. The wife's KIA gets anything.

Old 21 Mar 2010, 03:54 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Now that, I will agree on. 87 is the lowest I would go. Around here, 87 is low and there's only one station in my county that is carrying Ethanol Free gas. Its a couple cents higher but I go out of my way to fill up with it in the PT and my Vette. The wife's KIA gets anything.

Crewzin what gas station isn't using ethanol?" Is that just in Florida?
Old 21 Mar 2010, 05:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I really can't say. He's an independent dealer in a city called Crystal River and he said he knew of one other dealer in the next county south of us that's also selling it. I'm sure there are others scattered around.

He said people come from all over the mid western counties to stock up on his gas. Apparently some boats motors don't like Ethanol so I always see a couple boats being towed stopping in and people fill up loads of cans to take with them.

As I said, it's a couple penny's more per gallon. Right now my county is averaging about $2.89-$2.91 per gallon regular and his Ethanol is going for $2.95.

Old 21 Mar 2010, 09:46 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

What year is your Vette? I love Vettes! I went to a show a few years back and got to ride in a '63 split window!

Here in MT, our regular gas is 85.5, plus is 89, and premium is 91. The 89 is the only gas with ethanol, and it contains 10%. 85.5 and 91 contain no ethanol.