PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Acetone In Fuel Said to Increase Mileage???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Mar 2010, 05:04 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Acetone In Fuel Said to Increase Mileage???

Acetone (CH3COCH3) is a product that can be purchased inexpensively in most locations around the world, such as in the common hardware, auto parts, or drug store. Added to the fuel tank in tiny amounts, acetone aids in the vaporization of the gasoline or diesel, increasing fuel efficiency, engine longevity, and performance -- as well as reducing hydrocarbon emissions.

How it Works
Acetone
A colorless, volatile liquid with a sweet odor. It is considered the least toxic solvent in industry. It can occur naturally. It is used in the production of lubricating oils, chloroform, pharmaceuticals, pesticides, paints, varnishes and lacquers. If present in water, it is more likely to volatilize or biodegrade before bioaccumulating or adsorbing to sediments. Acetone will also readily volatilize and biodegrade in soil. It is also a common laboratory contaminant, so its presence in a sample does not always indicate its presence in the environment. Synonyms - Dimethylketone and 2-propanone.

-- Environmental Terms Glossary
(U.S. Military)
Additive: changes the specifications of the base it is added to

Complete vaporization of fuel is far from perfect in today's cars and trucks. A certain amount of residual fuel in most engines remains liquid in the hot chamber. In order to be fully combusted, the fuel must be fully vaporized.

Surface tension presents an obstacle to vaporization. For instance the energy barrier from surface tension can sometimes force water to reach 300 degrees Fahrenheit before it vaporizes. Similarly with gasoline.

Acetone drastically reduces the surface tension. Most fuel molecules are sluggish with respect to their natural frequency. Acetone has an inherent molecular vibration that "stirs up" the fuel molecules, to break the surface tension. This results in a more complete vaporization with other factors remaining the same. More complete vaporization means less wasted fuel, hence the increased gas mileage from the increased thermal efficiency.

That excess fuel was formerly wasted past the rings or sent out the tailpipe but when mixed with acetone it gets burned, though the engine still thinks it is running straight gas.

Acetone allows gasoline to behave more like the ideal automotive fuel which is PROPANE. The degree of improved mileage depends on how much unburned fuel you are presently wasting. You might gain 15 to 35-percent better economy from the use of acetone. Sometimes even more.

How Much to Use

Add in tiny amounts from about one part per 5000 to one part per 3000, depending on the vehicle -- just a few ounces per ten gallons of gas. This comes to between 0.0003 % to 0.0025 % acetone maximum or approximately 1/15th of one-percent. Note that is around .78 cc per liter or one ounce per 10 gallons. Not more than three oz. per 10 gallons.

Read more at the link provided.

Acetone In Fuel Said to Increase Mileage
Old 21 Mar 2010, 09:54 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Acetone In Fuel Said to Increase Mileage???

This topic is hugely controversial on other forums I'm a member of. Some people say it works and others don't. I don't want to try it myself.

I see one flaw in your description, though. Excess fuel was never sent past the rings or out the tailpipe. Excess gasses within an engine are recycled and sent back through the intake to be burned off via an EGR valve, so you're really not wasting any less fuel with or without acetone.
Old 22 Mar 2010, 04:49 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by heifetz17 View Post
This topic is hugely controversial on other forums I'm a member of. Some people say it works and others don't. I don't want to try it myself.

I see one flaw in your description, though. Excess fuel was never sent past the rings or out the tailpipe. Excess gasses within an engine are recycled and sent back through the intake to be burned off via an EGR valve, so you're really not wasting any less fuel with or without acetone.

If I still had my old car I would likely try it, it can't be any worse than all the alcohol they are making us use in cars not designed to optimize and use alcohol.
Old 22 Mar 2010, 10:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thumbs down Re: Acetone In Fuel Said to Increase Mileage???

From the chemistry stand point, acetone is even more volatile and effective solvent than alcohol. So, we know that the alcohol in gas can affect the life of different type of seals and fittings.
So, if the consensus that gas without alcohol is better for the PT engine .......it isn't rocket science!

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 23 Mar 2010, 10:19 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonercruiser View Post
From the chemistry stand point, acetone is even more volatile and effective solvent than alcohol. So, we know that the alcohol in gas can affect the life of different type of seals and fittings.
So, if the consensus that gas without alcohol is better for the PT engine .......it isn't rocket science!
We're talking 3oz per tank full versus at least 10% sometimes more alcohol per tankful. So I would never argue the point that Acetone in quantities close to the alcohol content would be way worse for your car than the alcohol but at 3oz per 15 gallons I wonder. Just saying.
Old 23 Mar 2010, 11:10 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
You're right, it's automotive science

In all seriousness, I don't think I'll be dumping nail polish remover into my gas tank anytime soon.
Old 23 Mar 2010, 01:42 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by William_F View Post
You're right, it's automotive science

In all seriousness, I don't think I'll be dumping nail polish remover into my gas tank anytime soon.
When they decided to go with gasoline instead of Alcohol in the early auto days, Gasoline was just a waste by product that Rockefeller wanted to get rid of. While Ford the car maker guy wanted to use alcohol. Alcohol was winning because America was still mostly farm land and farmers could make it themselves. But scuttlebutt has it the Rockefeller with all his power supported prohibition which killed alcohol for cars.
The original model T ran on Alcohol.

http://www.prisonplanet.com/rockefel...f-alcohol.html

Last edited by Dino; 23 Mar 2010 at 01:50 pm.
Old 24 Mar 2010, 10:48 am
Cool Cruiser

It was ethanol, not alcohol. The original design was such that farmers could set aside a few acres of land to grow the corn themselves. Rockafeller was an oil baron and convinced Ford that gas engines were the way to go.
Old 25 Mar 2010, 04:16 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Henry Ford did not have the first gas powered car. Karl Benz (Mercedes) built a gas powered car in 1885, Ford's first wasn't until 1896.