Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Timing Marks (Pics)

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Sep 2010, 06:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Timing Marks (Pics)

this guy is right with his pics, of running timming belt being off, played with mine for days, and had everthing dead on, and it only tried to start, so knowing now that i was close, i let things move a tooth off of what the book says, but almost like this guys pics,, well guess what finaly runs like a charm
Old 19 Sep 2010, 08:19 am
Fresh Cruiser

Question Re: Timing Marks (Pics)

In fairly new to the forum.

A few days ago my PT stopped just outside my house.
Checked it just to find out that the timing belt is broken.

What do I have to concider regarding the allignment of the timing marks. Since the belt is broken I cannot align the marks by turning the engine as if the belt was ok.

I have a 2001 Touring with a 2.0 engine.
Old 11 Nov 2010, 06:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Just finished the timing belt on my PT Cruiser.. My suggestion is to follow the first picture of the running pt cruiser on the first page of this thread regarding the camshaft alignment marks. I tried to set mine just like the manual, about eight times with no success. The timing was out every time. After setting the alignment marks like the picture I'm referring to, the car ran fine. Tips: I did not disconnect the exhaust pipe at the manifold. There was plenty of room to raise the engine. Also, I didn't disconnect any of the AC components, or even unbolt the compressor. What I did do was remove the crossbar behind the grille so the radiator could be repositioned and raised. By doing this you can install the timing belt without putting everything back together and see if it runs smooth (in timing). Don't run the engine very long this way though. Make sure to follow the guide in running the belt counterclockwise starting at the crankshaft sprocket, keep it taught to/thru the camshaft sprockets.

My belt had stretched so bad that the crankshaft sprocket ground the teeth down as it wouldn't spin the belt. Luckily no internal engine damage, as I was driving it when it happened. I replaced the water pump, idler pulley, and tensioner pulley while I was in there. Smart move for peace of mind and insurance. By the way my Cruiser had 145,000 miles when the belt broke. Made it longer than I thought it would.

2003 stock PT Cruiser 2.4 Auto
bassmstrr likes this.
Old 16 Nov 2010, 04:14 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Timing Marks (Pics)

Thanks, I totally forgot about telling you guys that I successfully replaced my timing belt.

My belt was in three parts

I did almost as you did. My biggest issue was that I forgot to gemove the L-shaped mount, attached to the dogleg and spring/shocker housing.

I also replaced all parts since I don't want to do this again. Next time the repairs will be planned.
Old 21 Nov 2010, 07:31 am
Young Cruiser

To be honest I dont think there is any mis-alignment of the timing marks. The first two pics of the cams and main crank marks show the cams almost aligned and the crank off by 1/2 a tooth. If you had to perfectly align the cam marks the crank would perfectly on the mark. The cams rotate at a 2:1 ratio to the cam, so moving the cams in the pictures 1 tooth to align them would essentially move the crank shaft 1/2 a tooth and be right on the mark.

I have built many 4 cylinder engines, VW, Mitsu, Chrysler, Dodge and the issue people have is the mis-alignment when installing the timing belt. The exhaust and intake cams are not the same they 1/2 a tooth out of rotation to allow for the spacing of the teeth on the belt. Once you have installed the belt and tensioned it the marks will line up perfectly horizontal to the top of the cylinder head surface. Once the cams line up the crank mark should be on the mark. I have not assembled an engine where you would purposely put the timing marks out of position. Again the reason for position the exhaust cam 1/2 mark off when installing the timing belt is for the spacing of the teeth in the belt, you will find once you have routed the belt and tensioned it the exhaust cam will actually move and take up the 1/2 tooth and be aligned with the intake.

I am in the process of rebuilding a PT motor, just finished the valve job and reassembled the cylinder head. Moving on to motor assembly and will post pic's once I get to the timing belt assembly portion.

This my 2 cents worth I could be all wrong, but it would be first out of the all the 4 cylinder motors I have built.
Old 22 Nov 2010, 06:57 am
Young Cruiser

ok, so all went well yesterday and as I suspected the timing belt install went smoothly. I double checked the service manual and I want to quote some sentences out of the manual to reinforce my points. The Service manual says to set the exhaust cam sprocket 1/2 tooth off the mark from the intake sprocket, this is to assist in threading the belt over the tensioner. So if you set the cam sprockets as indicated in the manual and set the crankshaft sprocket on the mark then thread the timing belt round the crank sprocket and up over the water pump and idler pulley, then round the intake sprocket and over the exhaust sprocket. You will be left short and struggle to get the belt over the belt tensioner. At this point you grab your trusty cam tool and rotate just the exhaust sprocket that 1/2 tooth anti-clockwise to take up the timing belt slack and the belt will pop over the tensioner. Now if you look at the timing marks they will all line up perfectly. When you rotate just the exhaust cam that 1/2 tooth back to get the belt on the other cam and crankshaft will not move at all, you are simply taking up the slack between the the two cam sprockets.

The cam sprockets should be mark to mark and parellel with the deck of the head, the crank sprocket will be on the mark as well. You can easily validate if you have this correct, rotate the crank sprocket clockwise only for 4 full roations to settle the belt tensioner. Then stop when the crank sprocket gets to the timing mark. The cam marks should be level again, the words on the cams should show up as up with arrows showing upward on both cams. Now if you look into cylinder 1 the one nearest to the cam sprocket side the piston should be at TDC. Also look at the cam shafts both exhaust and intake should have the high lobes pointing up, you should be able to wiggle all 4 rockers under the cam shafts that push the valves for cylinder 1 only. That will tell you that all the valves are shut in cylinder 1 as there is no force on the rockers and the cam lobes are off the rockers. Basically telling you that cylinder 1 is now at TDC and in the valves closed position ready for firing.

I will continue to assemble the engine in the next few days and plan to start it up over the thanksgiving weekend, I will keep the group updated as things progress. Sorry for not taking the pics I will see if I can some tonight and post tomorrow. Sorry for the long detailed post.
Old 03 Nov 2011, 03:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hello guys, sorry for reviving this old thread but I have a question regarding this engine. I have an 03 PT that was Manufactured 02/03, now we are replacing this timing belt and going by the book and the pics provided it looks like this car has an 02 engine not an 03. Before we set it up any help provided would be greatly appreciated it. Because like i said, its very confusing because all the evidence points to an 02 timing and the car itself is supposed to be an 03 so if any of you could clarify or verify for me that would be awesome. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 03 Nov 2011, 04:34 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Timing procedure, basically, has been same from '95-'10

ensure marks are lined up by using some type of straightedge,
first aligning center of cam bolts, then marks.

Then sight down crank pulley to oil pump housing mark.
Alot of this is perspective; I get frustrated because it's cold or ... and i see what I want to see- Straightedge takes care of that.

This has been done:

Overkill; marks ain't off that much.

Spin engine 2x times; likely it'll be off;
That's ok, just loosen tensioner and move belt on cam pulleys until you get success.

Ensure cam bolts are properly torqued.
Old 03 Nov 2011, 05:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for your reply, we got all the procedures down. Basically what had puzzled us was the fact that in our engine ( again a 2003 ) there are four marks instead of just 2 like the ones in other 2003 PTs. Our cranks have a some "Up" letters in them. Now if we line the "Main" marks on them the right side is saying up correctly and the one on the left is upside down. I took some pics with my phone that i will be uploading shortly to kind of help me with what i'm trying to show. I will post the link for them shortly Thanks again
Old 03 Nov 2011, 05:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Okay here is the pics. The first one is where the main marks are lined and the right side crank is correct.

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

The second one here shows the left crank upside down if lined with "main" mark, but if you look closely, in this pic you can see another mark there in the middle.

So again, should be stick with how its aligned right now? or use that secondary mark so both cranks say up properly? Thanks again also this pic here is the one from the manual, as you can see it has both cranks saying up, and this is from a 02 engine.

Thanks for your time guys