PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

2.4L 2001 - Replacing Water Pump

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Mar 2010, 11:59 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2001 - Water Pump How to Replace

Well I have heard that you need to remove alot of stuff including the timing belt housing to get to the water pump? Is this correct? How many hours does it typically take a good mechanic (not a dealership) to perform replacing the water pump?

Right now I have a slow leak but I keep everything up at a good level but I do not want to run this dry. I have been told on the 2.4 Non-turbo model you could harm the valves?

I need your help and discussion.

THANKS

Last edited by timbogates; 28 Mar 2010 at 04:08 pm.
Old 14 Apr 2010, 07:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 2.4L 2001 - Replacing Water Pump

I have a limited Edition 2001 with 110K miles on it. The timing belt snapped on highway 50 and left me stranded a little over 2 weeks ago.

I spoke to a couple mechanics from church and found out the shop manual allows 12.5 labor hours for this. I had about 22 by the time I was done.
I learned that this 2.4L DOHC engine is a NON-INTERFERENCE engine meaning there is enough clearance between the pistons and valves if a piston is on the way up while a valve is open they will not strike.

I only needed a timing belt in my situation but discovered that replacing the water pump was the same dis-assembly procedure so I decided to replace that plus the idler and tension pulleys for the timing belt as well. I strongly recommend you replace the timing belt if you are going after the water pump!

I already had a Chilton's book for my PT but ordered a Hanes off Amazon anyway. >>>> I then did a Google search for PT CRUISER TIMING BELT and came up with a bunch of helpful videos at ehow.com and YouTube. They are professionally done and are step-by-step with the same engine; the videos gave me the confidence to do this myself and I only work on computers normally.<<<<

You WILL NEED 2 torque wrenches: inch-pound and foot-pound; and a 3-finger wheel puller for the Harmonic Balancer. 2 jack stands and a floor jack with a few chunks of 2x4 lumber. send me an email when you need an idea regarding that silly "special tool" the book calls for on the cam shaft pulleys; I did something different that took two of us to break them loose.

The hardest part was getting the passenger side motor mount and bracket out to do the major work and then back in during reassembly. Raising and lowering the engine while supporting it with the floor jack eventually will help you find that spot that will let it happen. The bolt closest to the firewall in the big iron bracket has to be in that piece before trying to reinstall it since there is no way to put the bolt in after. Also, when you raise the engine on the jack pull the motor at the top to the front of the car so you don't break the coolant reservoir next to the firewall. And be careful you don't break that plastic cover for the timing belts as it keeps dirt and oil from the belt that would shorten its life.

I got a great deal on a timing belt kit at: 01 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser Timing Belt Kit - Engine Mechanical - Gates, Dayco - PartsGeek
the rest of my needs were met at Autozone parts store down the street. At Autozone I either rented the tools or bought and returned them in resalable condition when I was done.

BTW, when you put the water pump back in use a little Vaseline on the O-ring seal to hold it in place and help to preserve it.

During reassembly once the timing belt was back on I used a breaker bar to turn the crank shaft 360 degrees to check the timing marks on the camshaft and crank pulleys against the book photos/diagrams. I did this twice to be sure.

Also, inspect the upper and lower torsion struts to the engine and replace them if they are torn. Mis-alignment may result if they are torn and that can cause unnecessary wear or damage to the transmission.

PATIENCE IS YOUR KEY ON THIS PROJECT

The engine started right up on the first turn of the key.

I hope that some of this info is some help to you.

Curtis Kemmerle
Carmichael, CA
bin@paktc.com

Last edited by paktc; 14 Apr 2010 at 07:51 pm.
Old 14 Apr 2010, 07:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Congratulations on a great job and write up.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 14 Apr 2010, 11:33 pm
Cool Cruiser

If you take the right headlight out, it will make the job a lot easier!
Old 15 Apr 2010, 08:30 pm
Young Cruiser

Any idea if it's possible to visually inspect the timing belt without major dissasembly? I have no idea if mine has been done..

I've replaced the radiator fan, and did plugs and wires the other day. Reading the timing belt threads, it sounds like something I can do. I've got tools, jack and stands..
..a
Old 15 Apr 2010, 10:17 pm
Cool Cruiser

Here is a couple of pictures:
1. Cover with the screws
2. Screws that need to be removed
3. Once removed, this is what you see (head is on my shop bench)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0089.jpg (81.8 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0090.jpg (83.6 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0035.jpg (92.3 KB, 145 views)
Old 16 Apr 2010, 05:57 am
Young Cruiser

Very cool, thanks!
Old 16 Apr 2010, 02:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767skyking View Post
Here is a couple of pictures:
1. Cover with the screws
2. Screws that need to be removed
3. Once removed, this is what you see (head is on my shop bench)
How nice and clean those gears are!!
Old 16 Apr 2010, 03:20 pm
Cool Cruiser

Yep... The 02 needed a valve job and surface!
Old 16 Apr 2010, 04:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I've been scouring these threads looking for tips on replacing the timing belt (and water pump while I'm in there) on my 2004. It looks like for a straight timing belt job, the cam sprockets (and maybe the pulleys?) do not need to be removed. However, to get to the water pump, the rear timing cover must be removed. It appears this requires removing the cam sprockets and other pulleys. Is this correct?

The deeper I get into this thing the more I realize why mechanics get paid the big bucks.