PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

PT Cruiser Won't Shut Off

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Apr 2010, 09:07 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default PT Cruiser Won't Shut Off

Hello. I have 2001 PT Cruiser that intermittently won't shut off when the key is turned to the off position. This first happened in Nov. of 2009 and the dealer at that time replaced the ignition switch. It's been working great until yesterday when the problem reappeared. It will eventually shut off if the key is left in the off position, but it can take a minute or two. Can this be another bad ignition switch or is it possible that something else is at fault here? Has anyone else had a problem like this that was repaired? How common is this with the PT's? The dealer says they haven't seen this issue before? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07 Apr 2010, 09:22 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: PT Cruiser Won't Shut Off

Welcome to the forums.
When I read the first line of your post I imediately thought "ignition switch".
If it's happening again, maybe the wiring is screwed up?
No jiggling of the key, just wait and it shuts off?
Sure isn't common....
'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 07 Apr 2010, 09:54 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hello, thanks for your reply. No jiggling of the key. I just turned the switch to the off position, then to the on postion again and it still didn't shut off. So not knowing what else to do I left it in the off position and it eventually shut off. Again the switch was replaced in Nov. of last year because of this problem, and it worked without incident until yesterday. If it was a wiring problem I would think it would have surfaced prior to 5 months of it working. But I don't know. This is a great forum and I appreciate all of the help. Thanks!
Old 10 Apr 2010, 09:08 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Your post brought back a memory from my Haynes manual.. not sure if this will help, but here you go:

Quote:
18. Engine 'diesels' (continues to run) after switching off

- Idle speed too high
- Excessive engine operating temperature
- Excessive carbon deposits on valves and pistons

GT - FID 1200cc injectors, DS Trinity with CMR tune, 3" O2/catless downpipe, 3" DP-back exhaust, 3bar MAP/TIP. Still a work-in-progress with tons of parts left to swap.

Old 11 Apr 2010, 07:14 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Tony,

Welcome to the forum.

I think if it was dieseling the dealer wouldn't have changed the ignition switch and the problem would't have gone away (sorry Chris) but the problem did go away for all this time so I'd guess a QSD said, wiring problem or the ignition switch again. Since it's happening so little (far apart) it's hard to diagnose without tracing all the wiring down and that could cost you more than just putting in another switch. You don't happen to carry a lot of weight on your key ring do you? We've heard of that being a problem over a period of time.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 11 Apr 2010, 02:26 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Haha it's fine Carey, like I said, it just popped into my head, and I just figured that since he said that the issue returned it could possibly be something unrelated to the ignition switch. After all, the dealer did say that they've never seen anything like it.. so..

GT - FID 1200cc injectors, DS Trinity with CMR tune, 3" O2/catless downpipe, 3" DP-back exhaust, 3bar MAP/TIP. Still a work-in-progress with tons of parts left to swap.

Old 12 Apr 2010, 04:53 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks to everyone for your help. The car has been working fine since I last posted. But I noticed that the positive and negative cables have a significant amount of corrosion on them. So I ordered new cables. They were only $70.00 so I thought they may be worth a try.

P.S. The dealer had the car all day on friday and couldn't reproduce the problem. I'll keep everyone posted on this.

Thanks Again
Old 04 Oct 2010, 10:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

my 01 limited started doing the same thing happened about 2 months ago then went away first thought also was the switch so i unpliged it when it wouldnt shut off and it stayed running

shouldnt unplugging the switch shut the car off?
Old 06 Oct 2010, 04:54 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hi Everyone,

My PT hasn't done this again since my post in April. It's certainly a weird issue. A local Technician mentioned he has seen this problem once in the last 10 years. He said it ended up being the fan relay located in the main fuse and relay box under the hood. He said if the problem happens again, to unplug the fan relay. If the engine stops running, then the relay is the problem.