PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

03 cruiser running hot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Apr 2010, 01:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 03 cruiser running hot

I recently bought a 03 cruiser and it tends to run at about 3/4 of the way up the gauge and the fan kicks on at the half way mark and doesn't shut off. Is this a thermostat problem or waterpump or something more sevier?
Old 13 Apr 2010, 03:14 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: 03 cruiser running hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllwyrc View Post
I recently bought a 03 cruiser and it tends to run at about 3/4 of the way up the gauge and the fan kicks on at the half way mark and doesn't shut off. Is this a thermostat problem or waterpump or something more sevier?
Is it only at idle? Does it do it when your at say parkway speed? Any leakage under the PT? When the fan comes on does it go back down to half? Do you have the right coolant on the radiator? Has it ever been flushed? How many miles on the PT?

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 14 Apr 2010, 02:06 am
Fresh Cruiser

PT has 94,000 miles. It has the green coolant in it & not sure how long it has been in there, there is no leaks & it will jump up 3/4 of the way up no matter if your moving or sitting still.
Old 14 Apr 2010, 08:20 am
Obsessed Cruiser

cllwyrc,

Chrysler recommends HOAT coolant. It's red in color. It's possible you radiator is partially clogged because of the damage done by the wrong coolant.

Does the fan kick on before the half way mark if you have the A/C on? It should. If not you may have the lower speed part of the fan burnt out.

Other reasons for overheating, like you mentioned is the thermostat not operating properly or a damaged water pump that's not creating the proper flow.

First thing I'd do is check the fan operation, then have the coolant system completely flushed. Any signs of debris or rust in the radiator or it doesn't have a good flow then you'll know somethings wrong.

A work of caution: Your at the point (94K) that you'll be needing a timing belt and water pump change around the 100K mile mark. It's an expensive job requiring 5 to 7 hours labor from a competent mechanic. With parts and labor running anywhere from $800 - $1200 depending on the parts used and the hourly rate of the mechanic.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com

Last edited by CREWZIN; 14 Apr 2010 at 08:23 am.
Old 14 Apr 2010, 10:43 am
Fresh Cruiser

it doesn't kick on until the half way mark unless you kick the a/c on.
Old 14 Apr 2010, 02:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Sounds like the fan is working correctly, at least on the low speed. Without the A/C there's no reason for the fan to come on until a preset temperature is reached. When it's get over that temperature, the high speed should kick on and bring everything back to half way.

You should be able to hear the difference of the high and low because the low makes almost no noise at all above the engine running and the high will be loud enough to hear by itself way above the engine noise.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 15 Apr 2010, 01:04 am
Fresh Cruiser

I forgot to mention that I don't have these problems at night when temps outside is cool except for the fan running on high once hitting the half way mark.