PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Won't shift out of first gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Apr 2010, 02:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Won't shift out of first gear

I am new to this board and did some searching so hopefully this in not a question that is repeated frequently. Back in August we got my son a '05 cruiser with automatic transmission. Everything has been great with the car until just recently. In the past few weeks (about once a week) he has left school and the car will not shift out of first gear. Last week and today he came to a stop at a light and it died. Both times it started right up but still would not shift out of first. Last week he stopped to get gas and when he started it again everything was fine. Not positive but believe when it won't shift the speedometer does not work. The first time it happened I drove it with no issues that evening and when to the auto parts store to pull the codes as the check engine light was on. Got the below codes...

P1603
PCM Internal Dual-Port RAM Communication Failure

U0101
Lost Communication with PCM

P0501
Vehicle Speed Sensor A Range/Performance

Not sure if all three, or any, are related to this issue or not but wanted to see if anybody was familiar with this issue and knew how to fix it? Thanks for your help.
Old 19 Apr 2010, 02:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Won't shift out of first gear

Other reading for your codes:

U0101 NO TRANSMISSION BUS MESSAGE

P1603 EEPROM Malfunction

Fault Code P0501-Vehicle Speed Sensor #1 Performance - A rationality error has been detected for no vehicle speed sensor signal detected during road load conditions.

Possible causes are:

Good Trip Equal to Zero
Transmission DTC's
PCM
Test Action Applicability

The cluster, PCM/TCM and output speed sensor all work together to calculate speed. The vehicle speed signal is taken from the output speed sensor. The PCM converts this signal into a pulse per mile signal and sends the vehicle speed message across the communication bus to the BCM. The BCM sends this signal to the instrument cluster to display vehicle speed to the driver. The vehicle speed signal pulse is roughly 8000 pulses per mile.

Looks like and sounds like your going to need a trip to the dealer or transmission shop to dig deeper and find out what's happening. I scanner can come up with more precise errors.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 19 Apr 2010, 03:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the response and detailed information. It sounds like we will have to take it in. Has less that 30K miles on it, hope it's not anything major.
Old 19 Apr 2010, 05:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

With only 30K or so on it, it should still be covered under warranty, I think it is 7 years 70K coverage. Call your dealer to make sure first tho. Then make your decision where to take it.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 19 Apr 2010, 05:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Ernie,

I think he just bought it for his son so he's a second owner. Didn't I read where the warranty isn't transferable ?? I may be wrong.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Old 19 Apr 2010, 09:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I never thought it could possibly still be under warranty, need to look into that. We are the second owners so if not transferable that's too bad but will check into it.
Old 20 Apr 2010, 08:20 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybergarage View Post
I never thought it could possibly still be under warranty, need to look into that. We are the second owners so if not transferable that's too bad but will check into it.
That is why I suggested itl Your dealer can be your best friend so don't be afraid to talk to them. While there take your VIN in and have them check to see if any recalls are needed, they can run the numbers for you and let you know. FREE STUFF if recalls need to be done.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 20 Apr 2010, 01:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Your right, they can definitely be your friend. I have a great relationship with my dealer for my truck and they take care of all kinds of things for me. I know there is the recall for the rear side windows so they could take care of that as well. I searched this morning and it looks like it should be under warranty with a $100 deductible. That's a whole lot better outcome than I expected
Old 06 Jan 2014, 12:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Cybergarage,

With apologies for reviving this 4-year-old-thread, what ended up being the issue for your PT? I have the same set of codes that I'm trying to investigate in another thread.
Old 06 Jan 2014, 01:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Sorry, no use asking him. He hasn't been back to the forum since September 2010.