Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
cooling system ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Apr 2010, 10:41 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default cooling system ?

How do you properly bleed the cooling system on the pt cruisers? I don't think the repair shop is doing it the wright way.
Old 20 Apr 2010, 12:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: cooling system ?

Fill the system up to the top of the thermostat housing, close the radiator cap. Fill to the cool line of the overflow bottle. Run the engine till thermostat opens and CAREFULLY open the bleeder valve till no more air escapes. If there is air that comes out before the coolant starts to come out, Let the system cool down and add more coolant to take the place of the air that escaped. Might wnat to do that a couple times.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 21 Apr 2010, 12:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

If this don't work what else can I do to get this car to run at normal temp & not keep trying to climb towards redline? Its had a new thermostat, a new temp sending unit, its had a radiator flush & the hoses are not colapsing. Can the radiator be bad or is there something more serious wrong?
Old 21 Apr 2010, 12:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Re: cooling fan?

My daughter drives a 2007 PT... the temp gauge goes up when at idle, in traffic or at stop. The fan doesn't seem to go on, but when we jump it to check the speeds it goes on/works. There were times where disconnecting and reconnecting it seems to make it work for a day, but thats it. My husband did notice marks at the connection, as if it is shorting out. Can the connections be bad? Do I have to go out and get a new fan? I don't want to have to spend the money on a new fan if the problem isn't the fan....can someone help?
Old 21 Apr 2010, 04:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Angry Re: cooling system ?

I have the same problem..new thermostat, flushed system, new tubes...still have same problem. Overheats in traffic,stopligts,etc. So frustrating!
Old 21 Apr 2010, 07:57 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: cooling fan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabby View Post
My daughter drives a 2007 PT... the temp gauge goes up when at idle, in traffic or at stop. The fan doesn't seem to go on, but when we jump it to check the speeds it goes on/works. There were times where disconnecting and reconnecting it seems to make it work for a day, but thats it. My husband did notice marks at the connection, as if it is shorting out. Can the connections be bad? Do I have to go out and get a new fan? I don't want to have to spend the money on a new fan if the problem isn't the fan....can someone help?
It usually is the fan, sorry to say. Do a search for radiator fan and you will see it's usually the culprit.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 25 Apr 2010, 10:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I just had my radiator replaced and now I'm not getting a whole lot of heat threw the vents & when I turn on the defroster it will blow out warm then shortly after it blows cold, is my heater core clogged or what else could it be?