Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

06 PT cranks but no fuel pressure

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Apr 2010, 03:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 06 PT cranks but no fuel pressure

Hi everyone!

I've done several hours of searching on here, but didn't find what I was looking for.

We have a 2006 PT Cruiser as our company car at work. One of our guys had it out of town a week ago, and when he headed back here, it would crank but wouldn't start. We had it towed to a shop & after a day of troubleshooting, they couldn't find anything wrong. He drove it back to town the following day without any problems. He went out to start it yesterday & it did the same thing.

I checked for fuel at the test port on the fuel line, but there's nothing there(even when cranking), and I don't hear the pump running. Before I assume the pump is bad, can someone point me toward the fuel pump relay(or is it fuse?) location so I can test it? I checked the manual but it was pretty vague. I also checked for codes, but we're not getting any(and the shop said they didn't retrieve any either), so I don't think it's sensor-related.

FWIW, earlier this year we had some other problems with the car. It was completely dead & wouldn't crank at all. Took it to the dealership and they replaced the TIPM, but this time we're having different symptoms so I think it's something else.

Thanks!
Pete
Old 20 Apr 2010, 03:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 06 PT cranks but no fuel pressure

The pump is in the tank. When you turn the key on you should be able to hear the pump run. Has the tank been ran low enough to trigger the chime? The gasoline cools and lubricates the pump and if allowed to run out/almost run out will eventually burn out the pump.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 20 Apr 2010, 03:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the reply!

No, the gas hasn't been run low/empty - at least, not in the 6-months we've had this car at our office.

Doing some more googling, it sounds like it could be the crank-position sensor as well. Is there a way to test it with a multimeter for resistance, or what signal I should see from it when cranking?

Thanks again!
Pete
Old 12 Apr 2011, 07:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I checked for fuel at the test port on the fuel line, but there's nothing there(even when cranking)...
Thanks!
Pete[/QUOTE]

You have a test port on your 2006? See my reply to testing fuel pressure,wheres the schrader valve?
Old 24 Apr 2011, 02:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteGossett View Post
Hi everyone!

I've done several hours of searching on here, but didn't find what I was looking for.

We have a 2006 PT Cruiser as our company car at work. One of our guys had it out of town a week ago, and when he headed back here, it would crank but wouldn't start. We had it towed to a shop & after a day of troubleshooting, they couldn't find anything wrong. He drove it back to town the following day without any problems. He went out to start it yesterday & it did the same thing.

I checked for fuel at the test port on the fuel line, but there's nothing there(even when cranking), and I don't hear the pump running. Before I assume the pump is bad, can someone point me toward the fuel pump relay(or is it fuse?) location so I can test it? I checked the manual but it was pretty vague. I also checked for codes, but we're not getting any(and the shop said they didn't retrieve any either), so I don't think it's sensor-related.

FWIW, earlier this year we had some other problems with the car. It was completely dead & wouldn't crank at all. Took it to the dealership and they replaced the TIPM, but this time we're having different symptoms so I think it's something else.

Thanks!
Pete
Have you figure it out yet? pull one spark plug to see if is sparking that eliminates the crank sensor. If it does not spark the sensor needs replaced. If it sparks the fuel pump relay is bad or the pump is bad. You have to check the voltage to each to eliminate where the voltage stops. could be a fuse blown to the relay or to the pump. Take your time it is easy to figure out .