PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Need help - Rough idle & sputtering, missing out...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Apr 2010, 01:46 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Need help - Rough idle & sputtering, missing out...

I have had a hell of a time figuring out why my 2001 Limited edition PT crusier is doing this... maybe someone here can tell me what to look for and or has had these issues before.

Problem:
Random Intermittent rough idle issue, sometimes when I start up, other times when I am getting ready to go in reverse. And sometimes when I come to a stop or a red light it does this. When it does it the car acts like it wants to die, or stall out, put only seems to do it when I push the brake, if I let up off the brake and also to keep it from doing it I let off the brake or if at a stop put my foot on the break and give it a little gas. Also driving down the road at higher speeds such as 50 I notice it from time to time. What is weird is I can drive it in to work early morning it never does it, later in the day seems to do it more often. Sometimes not at all.

Work Done:
Replaced plugs and wires, throttle body service from dealer, computer scan no faults found, no codes found. Check engine light not on. Suspension work, shocks, struts replaced, brakes, roters. Also fuel pump just got replaced I thought it was that, but didnt help it. Issues still present.

The dealer said they couldnt find anything wrong with it, and the car wouldnt do that to them.

Please any advise would be so appreciated!
Old 24 Apr 2010, 11:46 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Need help - Rough idle & sputtering, missing out...

Thoughts -
1)Idle Air Controller (IAC) connected to and behind the throttle body. Clean it.

2)When idle is rough, spray wd-40 along seams of intake manifold - if idle smooths out, it's intake gasket - usually the lower one.

3)What were plugs gapped at? Should've been 0.040. If gap is too wide - could cause rough idle - long shot.
'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 24 Apr 2010, 01:36 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Sounds like a vacuum leak...brake booster perhaps.
Old 24 Apr 2010, 08:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

What is brake booster? and as far as a vaccume leak what and where should I look, I downloaded a repair guide for my car, geeze I really have to fix this. its an irritating problem especially when I paid a dealer $80 to diagnose it and they claim we cant find anything wrong with it.
Old 11 Aug 2010, 03:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

What was the solution?
Old 15 Aug 2010, 02:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by eobryant View Post
What is brake booster? and as far as a vaccume leak what and where should I look, I downloaded a repair guide for my car, geeze I really have to fix this. its an irritating problem especially when I paid a dealer $80 to diagnose it and they claim we cant find anything wrong with it.
I had the same problem and after the dealership ran thru everything they could think of it ended up behing the oxygen sensor that was faulty.
Old 15 Aug 2010, 11:51 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Its definitely an ignition problem, i had the same problem and new plugs fixed it for me. I recommend looking more in that direction. i realize that you already did that, but the problem has to be along those lines. Another thing it could be is a cam sensor , but i doubt thats it. Check your error codes, should tell you if its a sensor.
04 graphite(vroom!) N/A Limited 110,000 miles -original owner. Custom short ram intake ( CGS motor-sport pipe, specter open-end air filter, specter breathing hose),OEM spoiler, Pioneer receiver ,10" bazooka sub,Blue LED interior lighting, Bosch +4 plugs and Accel super stock 8mm universal plug wires.