Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

2002pt man/trans pops out of 3rd/4th gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Apr 2010, 10:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2002pt man/trans pops out of 3rd/4th gear

2002 PT with a 5 speed manual transmission 120,000 miles

My wife came home yesterday & said the car keeps popping out of 3rd gear, I drove it & it popped out of 3rd & 4th on me.

Can someone give me an idea what the problem is, I'm thinking the forks are worn.

Any idea on cost to repair?

Thanks

Bob
Old 30 Apr 2010, 08:18 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: 2002pt man/trans pops out of 3rd/4th gear

Probably not a shift linkage issue with your trans as it has a hydraulic clutch. Could be bent or worn shift forks as you suggest or could be lots of other things such as worn shaft bearings. Unfortunately it is pretty much a guess until the box is opened up and inspected.

Many dealers will just R&R a trans. Ask around and find a trusted transmission shop (they are out there...usually an independent mom and pop operation) and get their input.
Old 30 Apr 2010, 09:27 am
Fresh Cruiser

my 3rd gear on my cavalier has grinded since ive owned it, but lately, maybe once or twice a week, it will kick out of 3rd while driving.

so yeah, could be shift fork or synchros are starting to wear.

I dont have the downtime right now to take my tranny apart to get it figured out though.
Old 17 May 2010, 10:19 am
Cool Cruiser

You may have already resolved this, but here's a couple of things I'd look at. Check your fluid level, I've seen low oil cause this before. (On another car - in a previous life) The other thing is the bushings on the shifter mount on the trans. Mine were pretty well wiped out, causing it to not fully engage the gears.
Old 28 May 2010, 07:19 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboDucky View Post
You may have already resolved this, but here's a couple of things I'd look at. Check your fluid level, I've seen low oil cause this before. (On another car - in a previous life) The other thing is the bushings on the shifter mount on the trans. Mine were pretty well wiped out, causing it to not fully engage the gears.
I just repaired a shifter problem like this it is the bushings on the shifter cables on the engine side. If you take out the airfilter box you will see the cable connections the bushings get worn out. All you need is new bushings Chrysler will only sell you the cables. Get the booger bushings from boogerracing.com they are the same as the ones used on Neons also they are poly bushings. Takes about 15 minutes to put in cost only $12. Pay a mechanic $400 parts and labor are do it yourself in 15 minutes for only $12 unless you really want to spend $400. Makes a huge difference in how it shifts fantastic now.
Old 05 Jun 2010, 07:36 am
Fresh Cruiser

I have the same issue at 4th, I think. Wasn't driving when it happened. Someone else was. We took the air cleaner off and looked at those bushings and they are fine. Well, worn a little, but fine. Pulled on one (the one on the left side) and everything popped back to normal. Got in and went through the gear pattern and at 4th or reverse (not sure, wasn't really paying enough attention) it popped back out. Was able to pop it back and pull the darn thing into the garage out of the sun, but am baffled. Would a little bit of play on those bushings do all that? Or is this a deeper than us issue?
Old 05 Jun 2010, 10:55 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie View Post
I have the same issue at 4th, I think. Wasn't driving when it happened. Someone else was. We took the air cleaner off and looked at those bushings and they are fine. Well, worn a little, but fine. Pulled on one (the one on the left side) and everything popped back to normal. Got in and went through the gear pattern and at 4th or reverse (not sure, wasn't really paying enough attention) it popped back out. Was able to pop it back and pull the darn thing into the garage out of the sun, but am baffled. Would a little bit of play on those bushings do all that? Or is this a deeper than us issue?
It is really hot were those bushings are the heat is what wears them out. As they warm up they get looser. At least you know how to fix it that is go.
Old 05 Jun 2010, 11:49 am
Fresh Cruiser

I went to the previously suggested boogerracing site and found those bushings. Too bad they go under the hood, they're kinda cute. Anyway it mentions that there are also bushings at the transmission end of those cables. How hard are those to get to? (since this is MY car I'm bettin its that end that needs the bushing and will be a bear to get to)
Old 05 Jun 2010, 12:30 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie View Post
I went to the previously suggested boogerracing site and found those bushings. Too bad they go under the hood, they're kinda cute. Anyway it mentions that there are also bushings at the transmission end of those cables. How hard are those to get to? (since this is MY car I'm bettin its that end that needs the bushing and will be a bear to get to)
Well you do not have to replace all four bushings. The two bushings on the bottom of the gear shifter are ok they do not get exposed to the heat and cold like the two bushings under the hood. It is the bushings under the hood that wear out. When you go to order the bushings from boogerracing when you go to check out they give you the option of only buying the two bushings on the transmission side that is what i did. Maybe replacing all four bushings will be better? You can if you want to. Actually replacing the bushings on the transmission side is easy. Take out the air filter box and there they are. Took me 15 minutes and do it when the engine is cold if the transmission is hot it will burn your hand up.
Old 05 Jun 2010, 09:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

atfbilletparts.com has a bushing kit for $15.95. Two bushings and two e-clips. See it here. I have one on order.