PT Cruiser Forum  
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

2002pt man/trans pops out of 3rd/4th gear

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 29 Apr 2010, 10:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3
Default 2002pt man/trans pops out of 3rd/4th gear

2002 PT with a 5 speed manual transmission 120,000 miles

My wife came home yesterday & said the car keeps popping out of 3rd gear, I drove it & it popped out of 3rd & 4th on me.

Can someone give me an idea what the problem is, I'm thinking the forks are worn.

Any idea on cost to repair?

Thanks

Bob
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 30 Apr 2010, 08:18 am
Fanatic Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Rochester, Michigan
Posts: 528
Default Re: 2002pt man/trans pops out of 3rd/4th gear

Probably not a shift linkage issue with your trans as it has a hydraulic clutch. Could be bent or worn shift forks as you suggest or could be lots of other things such as worn shaft bearings. Unfortunately it is pretty much a guess until the box is opened up and inspected.

Many dealers will just R&R a trans. Ask around and find a trusted transmission shop (they are out there...usually an independent mom and pop operation) and get their input.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 30 Apr 2010, 09:27 am
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 18
Default Re: 2002pt man/trans pops out of 3rd/4th gear

my 3rd gear on my cavalier has grinded since ive owned it, but lately, maybe once or twice a week, it will kick out of 3rd while driving.

so yeah, could be shift fork or synchros are starting to wear.

I dont have the downtime right now to take my tranny apart to get it figured out though.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 17 May 2010, 10:19 am
TurboDucky's Avatar
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ashland, Ohio
Posts: 404
Default Re: 2002pt man/trans pops out of 3rd/4th gear

You may have already resolved this, but here's a couple of things I'd look at. Check your fluid level, I've seen low oil cause this before. (On another car - in a previous life) The other thing is the bushings on the shifter mount on the trans. Mine were pretty well wiped out, causing it to not fully engage the gears.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 28 May 2010, 07:19 pm
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 102
Default Re: 2002pt man/trans pops out of 3rd/4th gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboDucky View Post
You may have already resolved this, but here's a couple of things I'd look at. Check your fluid level, I've seen low oil cause this before. (On another car - in a previous life) The other thing is the bushings on the shifter mount on the trans. Mine were pretty well wiped out, causing it to not fully engage the gears.
I just repaired a shifter problem like this it is the bushings on the shifter cables on the engine side. If you take out the airfilter box you will see the cable connections the bushings get worn out. All you need is new bushings Chrysler will only sell you the cables. Get the booger bushings from boogerracing.com they are the same as the ones used on Neons also they are poly bushings. Takes about 15 minutes to put in cost only $12. Pay a mechanic $400 parts and labor are do it yourself in 15 minutes for only $12 unless you really want to spend $400. Makes a huge difference in how it shifts fantastic now.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05 Jun 2010, 07:36 am
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 10
Default Re: 2002pt man/trans pops out of 3rd/4th gear

I have the same issue at 4th, I think. Wasn't driving when it happened. Someone else was. We took the air cleaner off and looked at those bushings and they are fine. Well, worn a little, but fine. Pulled on one (the one on the left side) and everything popped back to normal. Got in and went through the gear pattern and at 4th or reverse (not sure, wasn't really paying enough attention) it popped back out. Was able to pop it back and pull the darn thing into the garage out of the sun, but am baffled. Would a little bit of play on those bushings do all that? Or is this a deeper than us issue?
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 05 Jun 2010, 10:55 am
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 102
Default Re: 2002pt man/trans pops out of 3rd/4th gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie View Post
I have the same issue at 4th, I think. Wasn't driving when it happened. Someone else was. We took the air cleaner off and looked at those bushings and they are fine. Well, worn a little, but fine. Pulled on one (the one on the left side) and everything popped back to normal. Got in and went through the gear pattern and at 4th or reverse (not sure, wasn't really paying enough attention) it popped back out. Was able to pop it back and pull the darn thing into the garage out of the sun, but am baffled. Would a little bit of play on those bushings do all that? Or is this a deeper than us issue?
It is really hot were those bushings are the heat is what wears them out. As they warm up they get looser. At least you know how to fix it that is go.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 05 Jun 2010, 11:49 am
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 10
Default Re: 2002pt man/trans pops out of 3rd/4th gear

I went to the previously suggested boogerracing site and found those bushings. Too bad they go under the hood, they're kinda cute. Anyway it mentions that there are also bushings at the transmission end of those cables. How hard are those to get to? (since this is MY car I'm bettin its that end that needs the bushing and will be a bear to get to)
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 05 Jun 2010, 12:30 pm
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 102
Default Re: 2002pt man/trans pops out of 3rd/4th gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie View Post
I went to the previously suggested boogerracing site and found those bushings. Too bad they go under the hood, they're kinda cute. Anyway it mentions that there are also bushings at the transmission end of those cables. How hard are those to get to? (since this is MY car I'm bettin its that end that needs the bushing and will be a bear to get to)
Well you do not have to replace all four bushings. The two bushings on the bottom of the gear shifter are ok they do not get exposed to the heat and cold like the two bushings under the hood. It is the bushings under the hood that wear out. When you go to order the bushings from boogerracing when you go to check out they give you the option of only buying the two bushings on the transmission side that is what i did. Maybe replacing all four bushings will be better? You can if you want to. Actually replacing the bushings on the transmission side is easy. Take out the air filter box and there they are. Took me 15 minutes and do it when the engine is cold if the transmission is hot it will burn your hand up.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 05 Jun 2010, 09:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 10
Default Re: 2002pt man/trans pops out of 3rd/4th gear

atfbilletparts.com has a bushing kit for $15.95. Two bushings and two e-clips. See it here. I have one on order.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2001PT 2002PT 2.4 swap????? 80demoace Tech & Performance Forum 15 19 Feb 2011 04:13 pm
stiff shifting into gear - '05 auto trans. m5online General PT Cruiser Discussions 7 01 Oct 2010 01:56 pm
Trunk lock 'pops' when driving along pclayton99 PT Cruiser Convertible Forum 7 25 Dec 2009 10:40 am
2002 pt cruiser 5spd pops out of 5th gear and hard shifting bobby515 General PT Cruiser Discussions 3 03 Jun 2008 08:39 am
p0733 Gear 3 Incorrect ratio p0733 Gear 3 Incorr RobGT General Turbo Discussions 12 04 Nov 2004 01:02 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:19 am.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors