PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

installing trailer wiring

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Apr 2010, 06:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Cool installing trailer wiring

I just purchased a PT Cruiser 08 model (touring) & have a small u-haul trailer that I need to hook the lights up to. Where on the PT do I hook up the wiring harness ? The guage of the wire at the tail lites appears to be to small to carry the additional load. My trailer uses a 4 wire connector, the PT has independent turn signals. Looks like I need a 5th wire ..How do I hook this configuration up. Any suggestions would be appricate.
Roger
Old 30 Apr 2010, 11:03 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: installing trailer wiring

The 08 has a TIPM which is a programmable fuse/distribution box. It may sense the additional load as an overload and turn off the rear exterior lighting. If you intend to add trailer wiring there are custom plug-in harnesses available that T into the tail lights socket...no cutting, splicing or modifications necessary. However, be aware that the dealer may have to reflash the TIPM to recognize the added load. There have been a number of posts regarding this very issue on this and other Chrysler/Dodge forums.
Old 01 May 2010, 08:37 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thumbs down Re: installing trailer wiring

Thanks for the reply Carl. This may turn into a bucket of worms. Is this custom wiring harness a dealer only item ? My trailer is wired using the stop light/turn signal using one wire, where as the PT has seperate turn signals. If the TIPM senses an overload, will it reset itself after the additional load is removed ? Do you have any idea where I can find step by step instructions ?
Thanks again Carl
Roger
Old 01 May 2010, 09:33 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Your 08 Owner Manual p.349 talks about trailer towing wiring but not much. A plug-in wiring harness may be obtained at any decent auto parts store or a trailer/camper/rv place. The harness will contain what is called a "converter box" that is really nothing more than some blocking diodes that will allow PT separate turn signal wiring to interface with the 4 wire trailer wiring. If the TIPM senses an overload and trips it must be reset at the dealer. So,it would be best to talk to the dealer about it ahead of time and get the flash if necessary. The harness will come with instructions but it is basically plug and play. There are less expensive harnesses available that splice in but you have to be able to identify the proper wires to splice into. Also, the splice connectors that they provide are unreliable in a wet, dirty environment. In my humble opinion, for a few more bucks, the plug-in harness is the way to go. It is pretty much goof-proof but the TIPM adds an extra wrinkle. Seems that since about 05 that most Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep have the TIPM. Technology.
Old 01 May 2010, 10:02 am
Fresh Cruiser

Cool Re: installing trailer wiring

Wow ! Where did the old days go, where things were simple. I expected a 30 minute job after I had the wiring identified. I have a feeling that the people at AZ are going to be of little help. Carl..you have been of great help. I think I now understand the problem & now I've got to work out the solution. There is a trailer supply place near here..good place to start.
Roger
Old 01 May 2010, 11:01 am
Fresh Cruiser

Smile Re: installing trailer wiring

Pay dirt !! I have found a "plug & play" wiring harness for a PT Cruiser at etrailer.com p/n 118462 54.95 ph# 1.800.298.8924 To prevent the TIPM system from tripping, it uses a power source directly from the battery . Plugs directly into a 4 wire trailer connector. Thanks carl..You sent me in the right direction
Roger
Old 01 May 2010, 11:02 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Good idea Roger...the trailer guys no doubt have seen this...there are lots of PTs out there. Sent an E-mail to Chrysler yesterday regarding a different matter concerning the TIPM and they told me to "see the dealer"...was hoping they had a guru that could answer some of my questions....he probably got fired...oh well.

Anyway, good luck and btw, welcome to the forum. Let us know how things turn out.
Old 01 May 2010, 11:09 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogert View Post
Pay dirt !! I have found a "plug & play" wiring harness for a PT Cruiser at etrailer.com p/n 118462 54.95 ph# 1.800.298.8924 To prevent the TIPM system from tripping, it uses a power source directly from the battery . Plugs directly into a 4 wire trailer connector. Thanks carl..You sent me in the right direction
Roger
OK...have seen those, they bypass the TIPM but have never installed one so can't say how well they work.

If you are considering the addition of more accessories in the future (CB, ham radio, amps, fog lights, etc.) you may want to give some thought to installing an auxiliary fuse block fed from the battery ahead of the TIPM. Painless and Ron Francis Wire Works have some nice stuff.
Old 01 May 2010, 11:57 am
Fresh Cruiser

Smile Re: installing trailer wiring

Joining this forum was a super move on my part. I would have tried to install the wiring "the old way" & would have wondered what went wrong. The idea of having the dealer "reset" a detected overload still disturbes me. I thought, that is what fuses are for.
Calling the manufacturer wheither a vehicle, printer or computer, is usually a referal to a "dealer" & is usually a waste of time.
Roger