Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Perfomance Upgrades.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 May 2010, 05:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Perfomance Upgrades.

Hi everybody
I`m planning to add some more HP to my 2003 PT Limited Edition 2.4L AT. So after sarching for some info...i wrote this mods list...
Can you chek it !? MB I should change some parts for another ? Or mb some don`t need ? Or mb I mised one, and you think i should add some more mods ?!

01) Air Intake Kit K&N (57-1515-1)
02) Spark Plugs NGK Double Platinum (PLZTR5A-13)
03) Cat-Back Borla (14917)
04) Header JBA (1937SJS)
05) Screamin` Demon CoilPerfomance Distributors (31732)
06) Live wires Perfomance Distributors (C9083)
07) Mini-VIP Perfomance Distributors (5577-101)
08) Batterie (still thinking about/ mb optima red top ?)
09) Chip Jet Perfomance (90417S)
10) Throttle body spacer PowerAid (300-568)

Thx, and sorry for my mistakes
From Russia With Love

IN USDM WE TRUST

Last edited by Multyashka; 07 May 2010 at 05:18 pm.
Old 07 May 2010, 05:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Perfomance Upgrades.

Welcome to the forum.

Forget about #4, #5,, #7 and #10. Waste of money. No#9, you'll have to decide if the amount of money spent is worth the few extra HP, and if it's the "chip" that you have to send them your computer through the mail for them to install, remember that it can be wiped out in an instant if the PT is taken in for service and they need to do a flash of the computer.

The non-turbo PT will keep up with 99% of today's traffic and cruise with no problem at 90-100mph (if you care to). It won't ever be a stop light to stop light screamer unless you plan on spending lots of cash.

Keeping it in good tune, tires in good shape and properly inflated and carry as little load as possible (rear seats are almost 100 lbs.) will get the PT going as fast as it will go without emptying your wallet.

P.S. what the heck is a mini-VIP performance distributor and where would you hook/attach it to ??
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 07 May 2010, 05:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
P.S. what the heck is a mini-VIP performance distributor and where would you hook/attach it to ??
Here it is PT Cruiser Install

And about coil, my stock coil is dead one So which better screamin` or stock ?

I have about 4k $$$$$$ Just for +HP upgrades. Suspension and transmision is another story No I don`t whant to change my PT to PT GT.

Thx
Old 07 May 2010, 06:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thanks. Well, I see the picture (installed on a turbo model) but what does it do?

Even the guys that are running close to 300hp say the stock coil is well equipped to give you all the voltage you need and some say the screamin demon coil has failed on them. (MG, jump in here any time).

If you have the time, use the search on top of this forum for "performance" to see what we've told others.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 07 May 2010, 06:09 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

In an N/A PT you'll notice the biggest difference after the K&N intake, and the catback. Like Crewzin said, the rest is basically a waste of time for 'performance' mods.

If you want to see the most power out of your N/A, you'll need to look towards forced induction in the way of a supercharger or turbo setup, but no one mass-produces these anymore. You may come across one that's used, or even more rarely, one that's never been installed, but expect to pay a pretty penny for it, and don't expect to see great power increases from it unless you know what you're doing.

If you don't want to go the way of forced induction, then your best bet would be to look at handling/style upgrades to make the PT drive like you want it to and look great while doing it. Most people lower theirs, swap in aftermarket struts and shocks, buy a strut brace, install aftermarket sway bars, and find decent sets of wheels and tires. You could probably spend somewhere in the vicinity of $3k to $4k on these upgrades alone. If you want a body kit, expect to spend at least $4k on top of that for all the parts, prep and paint.

GT - FID 1200cc injectors, DS Trinity with CMR tune, 3" O2/catless downpipe, 3" DP-back exhaust, 3bar MAP/TIP. Still a work-in-progress with tons of parts left to swap.

Old 07 May 2010, 06:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

PT Cruiser Firepower
Here it is. At the button of the page. My English is not good enough to describe it by myself
It is a kinda voltage stabilizer...I also think that this mini-VIP will help me with my blinking headlights and dashboard lights

So:
Air Intake ( which is the best !? K&N ?!)
Cat Back Exhaust ( Borla or Magnaflow ?!)
Spark plugs (NGK ?!)
Wires

Right ?!

Last edited by Multyashka; 07 May 2010 at 06:21 pm.
Old 07 May 2010, 06:26 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

That unit looks to me like it's some sort of piggyback system that overrides the voltage regulators on our cars. A decrease of .27s in our 0-60 times doesn't particularly make me want to spend $250 on it, though. You could easily shave that amount of time off your 0-60 simply be removing your rear seats and leaving traction contol off during spirited driving.

K&N is one of the best options out there for a 'true' cold-air setup.
Your catback is really dependent upon what tone you want from the car. Best advice would be to go to a few PT shows/meets and listen to peoples' cars and decide for yourself.
As for spark plugs, check this thread: Spark plugs
Specifically the second post. A lot of people have had great results with NGK plugs.
The stock wires on the PT's are crap. Replace them when you do your plugs and you'll notice better MPGs and a small improvement in the overall performance of the car.

GT - FID 1200cc injectors, DS Trinity with CMR tune, 3" O2/catless downpipe, 3" DP-back exhaust, 3bar MAP/TIP. Still a work-in-progress with tons of parts left to swap.

Old 07 May 2010, 06:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yeap. Traction control...but i haven`t it
I want a deep tone but not very loud sound for my exhaust...mb like infinity fx35 And I`ll be the first in my aria with borla or magnaflow...

Thx, guys

Last edited by Multyashka; 07 May 2010 at 06:40 pm.
Old 07 May 2010, 06:54 pm
Senior Cruiser

The theory behind that thing he is talking about and the demon coil that go with it, is in theory you are suppose to be able to open up the gap on your spark plugs which in theory should give you better performance and better gas mileage.

When I bought my Granatelli's MPG/Plus Performance Ignition wires, I gaped the plugs wider .044 than I would have with stock wires because of the low ohms of the wires. I was tempted to try .050 but it was the middle of the winter and too cold to mess around. I think with the wires and the demon coil you might be able to gap a non turbo to .050 like they did from the factory with out any problems and in theory again get slightly better performance and gas mileage.

Notice I said in theory

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 07 May 2010, 07:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
The theory behind that thing he is talking about and the demon coil that go with it, is in theory you are suppose to be able to open up the gap on your spark plugs which in theory should give you better performance and better gas mileage.

When I bought my Granatelli's MPG/Plus Performance Ignition wires, I gaped the plugs wider .044 than I would have with stock wires because of the low ohms of the wires. I was tempted to try .050 but it was the middle of the winter and too cold to mess around. I think with the wires and the demon coil you might be able to gap a non turbo to .050 like they did from the factory with out any problems and in theory again get slightly better performance and gas mileage.

Notice I said in theory
In theory it sounds very very good. Mb I`ll try it later