Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Transmission Problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 May 2010, 10:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Transmission Problems

Hi,
Longtime reader, short time registerer of the forum. I have a problem I would like some input on if possible.

I have a 2001 PT, 140,000 miles. Recently I suddenly got a whine that sounded like a car might sound if it was having fluid problems or something with the transmission (based on the noise it made the one time the shop didn't put the filter back on ... it didn't get drove any further then from the shop to the parking lot and back with that problem and it was months ago).

So my first thought was since they screwed up filter, maybe wrong fluid, so I dropped the pan, checked the filter and changed fluid. No dice. I pull the codes, I get the gear ratio wrong ones a P1782 and P1787 ... I think makes sense might be the solenoid. I replace the solenoid pack, put it back together and still have the same symptoms, if not a little worse.

Any ideas of 1. something I might have missed / screwed up doing solenoid. 2. what else might be causing it 3. what I should be looking at to maybe try to diagnose in my garage to avoid the costly adventure of having it towed into a shop and pay out the nose for them to tell me it needs a rebuild (since I doubt it does, it was a sudden onset problem)

Thanks!

Last edited by robbdj; 08 May 2010 at 01:23 pm. Reason: Typoed trouble codes
Old 08 May 2010, 10:35 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Transmission Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbdj View Post
Hi,
Longtime reader, short time registerer of the forum. I have a problem I would like some input on if possible.

I have a 2001 PT, 140,000 miles. Recently I suddenly got a whine that sounded like a car might sound if it was having fluid problems or something with the transmission (based on the noise it made the one time the shop didn't put the filter back on ... it didn't get drove any further then from the shop to the parking lot and back with that problem and it was months ago).

So my first thought was since they screwed up filter, maybe wrong fluid, so I dropped the pan, checked the filter and changed fluid. No dice. I pull the codes, I get the gear ratio wrong ones a P1784 and P1787 ... I think makes sense might be the solenoid. I replace the solenoid pack, put it back together and still have the same symptoms, if not a little worse.

Any ideas of 1. something I might have missed / screwed up doing solenoid. 2. what else might be causing it 3. what I should be looking at to maybe try to diagnose in my garage to avoid the costly adventure of having it towed into a shop and pay out the nose for them to tell me it needs a rebuild (since I doubt it does, it was a sudden onset problem)

Thanks!

If you didn't take it to Chrysler or request the repair place use ATF +4 or better yet bring it in yourself they most likely didn't use it and being that they were stupid enough to forget the filter I can only imagine they used a Dextron plus additives like a place like Jiffy lube or Pep boys does.

Your best option is if you know of any honest transmission places to bring it and have them check it. Yeah I know they aren't easy to find.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 08 May 2010, 10:49 am
Fresh Cruiser

I thought about that, and changed the fuild myself with the right Chrysler fluid thinking that was it. Like I said that happened months ago and this is a very recent development.
Old 08 May 2010, 11:03 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbdj View Post
I thought about that, and changed the fuild myself with the right Chrysler fluid thinking that was it. Like I said that happened months ago and this is a very recent development.
The damaged might have been done running around even just for a few months with the wrong fluid, I have a read that it's one of the biggest reasons that these transmissions go. Since you already changed the solenoid, you have to ask what else could it be? Just in case you need one and want to do it yourself.

Remanufactured 2001 CHRYSLER PT CRUISER 2.4 604 Transmission - Torque converter, Free Shipping, No Core Charge

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 08 May 2010, 11:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Dino, the OP said it was driven from shop to parking lot and back to shop months ago. They haven't been driving it for months with possibly the wrong fluid.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 08 May 2010, 12:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yeah, i'm just tying to get an idea of what to check next. If it was the TCM i should get more codes? What about the relay? are there easy ways to check these things? Is the valve body easy to get at on these cars (like can it be replaced without dropping the transmission)
Old 08 May 2010, 12:24 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Dino, the OP said it was driven from shop to parking lot and back to shop months ago. They haven't been driving it for months with possibly the wrong fluid.

The way I read it, he only drove without the filter to the end of the parking lot. But it wasn't till he heard the noise again months later is when he thought they might have used the wrong fluid and changed it. Maybe I'm reading it wrong.

Some good info here.

Chrysler, Plymouth, and Dodge four-speed automatic transmission repairs

Last edited by Dino; 08 May 2010 at 12:58 pm.
Old 08 May 2010, 12:36 pm
Cool Cruiser

Dropping the pan and refilling only puts back in 4 quarts of ATF +4. That leaves an unknown concentration of the possibly wrong stuff still in the transmission. Dunno if that matters.

For mine, I installed a drain plug in the pan and change 4 qts of ATF +4 with each oil change.
Old 08 May 2010, 01:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok, so bad fluid or not (really don't think it is, but changed it to be sure) I still have the problem I have now. What would be the next things to check, test, whatever? I'm pretty handy around the car, have the repair manual and a garage full of tools. Just kind of at a loss for what to look at next.

The noise (whirling almost the sound of a pump running without fluid or something) is much worse when shifted in Park or Neutral. Also, I pulled the relay to see what would happen and to test it. I have the exact same results with relay in, with relay out and with known good relay in the EATX spot.
Old 08 May 2010, 01:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Just realized i typo'ed the codes they are P1782 and P1787 I corrected my post.