PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Weird rumbling noise in dashboard when I turn over the engine/ turn off the engine...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 May 2010, 11:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Talking Weird rumbling noise in dashboard when I turn over the engine/ turn off the engine...

Hi,

I have a 2002 PT Cruiser, with approximately 81k. Just today I've noticed that
when I start the car (turn over the engine) or turn off the engine, the dashboard rumbles in an odd way. I'm not sure what this could be, and I'm going on a trip soon, so I'm curious as to what this could be. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 20 May 2010, 07:07 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Weird rumbling noise in dashboard when I turn over the engine/ turn off the engin

I hope someone has some ideas for you because that's a good one. Noise (rumbling) from the dashboard only when you start or stop the engine!

Even though you say it's from the engine, the noise could be further towards the engine and coming through the dash. How about checking the engine mount. Sounds funny but the engine torques over when started and sometimes torques again when shut off and if the mount is blown it could cause some part of the engine to hit something a make a noise...although not a rumbling sound I will have to say. Rumbling like the coolant is boiling in the overflow bottle but that wouldn't happen when you start. Sorry, I give up guessing.
Old 21 Jan 2014, 07:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Weird rumbling noise in dashboard when I turn over the engine/ turn off the engin

I had the same noise and got scared my engine was going, turns out it was the radiator fan bearing dying. Yep, the radiator fan made that much rumble and noise.

I went to Autozone and got a lifetime warranty fan for 100 bucks or so.
Easy to install, no more issues or noises.
Old 21 Jan 2014, 09:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

maybe your post will help someone else with the same noise as this post is over 4 years old and the original posted is long gone. Thanks.
Old 22 Jan 2014, 08:13 pm
Cool Cruiser

I know whae mine got hot it was gurggling in the over flow bottle and it sounded like it was in the dash lol..cause its real loose to the fire wall?
Old 22 Jan 2014, 08:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumrooster View Post
I know whae mine got hot it was gurggling in the over flow bottle and it sounded like it was in the dash lol..cause its real loose to the fire wall?

You mean real "close" to the firewall, so the noise sounds like it's IN the dash. Yes, it could be that.