PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Remove Engine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 May 2010, 03:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Remove Engine

Hi, I have to remove the engine from my 2007. It is no longer under warranty, and the crankshaft end play is about 0.040, and the seal will not stay in....big oil leak!

I got an engine from a 2005. The book says to take the engine and transmission out as a unit from the bottom. I have a lift and guess I could do that, but it looks like if I unbolt the alternator, power steeing pump, and ac compressor, and take off the exhaust manifold and crankshaft pulley it would come right out the top. Am I missing something?
Old 23 May 2010, 07:33 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Remove Engine

It will come out the top. Take the crankshaft dampner off and the rest of the stuff. After that no problem!
Old 24 May 2010, 09:53 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Slartyblarfast.

One more question....is there any differece between a 2005 engine out of an automatic car, and one out of a manual car? I should have probably checked into this before I purchased the engine.
Old 25 May 2010, 09:10 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Shouldnt be much difference. You may have to change the flywheel but that should be about it.
Old 26 May 2010, 04:01 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks, that is good to know. I was going to change the engine this weekend, but won't be able to get to it now. I have started taking it apart and will post some pictures of the process when done....hopefully sometime in the next three weeks.
Old 26 May 2010, 06:43 am
Fresh Cruiser

Try it again with these steps..

Step 1

Park the car where you can get the engine hoist positioned. Use a wrench to take the bolts out of the hinges on the inside of the hood and take the hood off. The hood is heavy so get a friend to help. Take the negative cable off the battery.

Step 2

Drain the radiator fluid into a five gallon bucket and remove the hoses. Cut the hoses if they won't come off, because it's easier to replace the hose than the metal connectors. Take off the fan, take the tension pulley, or alternator loose and take out the radiator. Loosen the fuel lines and the intake air supply.

Step 3

Use a wrench to loosen the power steering pump. Pull the air condition compressor and the power steering pump out of the way and leave all the hoses connected. Take the electric wires loose from the motor, leaving the spark plug wires attached until later. Loosen the exhaust manifold and use a wrench to take the bolts off where the motor is connected to the transmission.

Step 4

Raise the car with a floor jack and put jack stands under the car to keep it from falling on you. Slide underneath the car and take the starter and exhaust pipe connectors off. Remove the transmission connections at the cross member.

Step 5

Take the bolts out of the transmission connections at the motor with a wrench. Use a wrench to remove the bolts from the motor mount connection. Slide out from underneath the car and remove the jack stands and let the car down.

Step 6

Bolt a heavy chain to both sides of the motor and bring the engine hoist around. Pull the motor out of the car slowly, making sure the front of the motor is higher than the back. Make sure not to hit the car as you bring the engine away from the car.

Good Luck
Old 27 May 2010, 07:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you Team...that sounds like a great plan. Looking at the car I agree the fan needs to come out, but I was thinking the radiator could stay in. Will look at it closer.
Old 27 May 2010, 02:33 pm
Regular Cruiser

only if it was that easy with the 2.4 turbo you cant get your arm in anywhere lol here is where im at right now. pic
Old 27 May 2010, 03:21 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by neon95 View Post
only if it was that easy with the 2.4 turbo you cant get your arm in anywhere lol here is where im at right now. pic
That's a SRT-4 in your driveway. Year? Stock?

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 27 May 2010, 07:04 pm
Regular Cruiser

03 stage 1