PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

HELP! I mixed dexcool and the yellow coolant together!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 May 2010, 03:41 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to Ironman
Default HELP! I mixed dexcool and the yellow coolant together!!!

So, my coolant reservoir was completely empty, and my cruiser was running pretty warm. I knew it used special coolant that is yellow, however I could not find any at any auto parts stores in the area. Like the idiot I am, I went and bought a gallon of Dexcool 50/50 because it did say it was approved for Daimler Chrysler vehicles, as I was poring it in, I realized my mistake...Is this going to harm anything? I've heard about Dexcool gelling up when mixed with the green coolant, but my cruiser had the yellow stuff in it (I know because I checked after I had the head gasket repaired last year) Should I be worried???
Non Turbo, Automatic Transmission 2003 Touring Edition, 104,xxx miles so far. Extras- cruise control, fog lights, sun roof, rear defroster, ABS, rear disk brakes, six speaker sound system, power locks, power windows, A.C., window tint, locking glove box. My personal mods so far- removed white air restricter, white hibiscus flowers sticker above the rear hatch lock, nice white primer/rust splotch underneath the passenger side tail light from bodywork...more to come once the money starts flowing freer and the car is payed off
Old 29 May 2010, 06:03 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: HELP! I mixed dexcool and the yellow coolant together!!!

From what I've read on these forums, you might have a future problem. Why not just look around for the correct coolant (HOAT) and flush out what you have? The question is, why was your overflow tank empty? You should go for a very long time without having to add any coolant if the system is working properly.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 29 May 2010, 10:54 am
Senior Cruiser

Flush it and get it out of there, will screw up all the seals.
Old 29 May 2010, 01:10 pm
Regular Cruiser

@cruizin, that's what I was thinking...So I may have an issue somewhere else, and yes, I do believe I will be flushing and refilling. For some stupid reason I thought the Dexcool was the same stuff, by the time I realized it was not, I had already filled the overflow...no good
Non Turbo, Automatic Transmission 2003 Touring Edition, 104,xxx miles so far. Extras- cruise control, fog lights, sun roof, rear defroster, ABS, rear disk brakes, six speaker sound system, power locks, power windows, A.C., window tint, locking glove box. My personal mods so far- removed white air restricter, white hibiscus flowers sticker above the rear hatch lock, nice white primer/rust splotch underneath the passenger side tail light from bodywork...more to come once the money starts flowing freer and the car is payed off
Old 29 May 2010, 03:44 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
@cruizin, that's what I was thinking...So I may have an issue somewhere else, and yes, I do believe I will be flushing and refilling. For some stupid reason I thought the Dexcool was the same stuff, by the time I realized it was not, I had already filled the overflow...no good

I couldn't find the HOAT anywhere and didn't want to buy it from the stealer, I found it for a great price with free shipping here.

Approved Vendor ZXGO5RU1 Antifreeze/Coolant

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 29 May 2010, 11:40 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Chrysler coolant is orange, not yellow. It's a 5 year/100k mile formula. Dex-cool is also an orange 5 year 100k mile formula. Many of the technicians at my dealership say the two are interchangeable, but Dex cool is GMs coolant.
Old 30 May 2010, 06:04 am
Senior Cruiser

Well all I can say is I know a couple mopar techs, and discussed this and they told me the chemistries are different and that they have been told the dex cool will swell the seals and ruin them.

You can get Zerex Hoat at many parts stores, NAPA carries it about 13$ a gallon or they can order it.

If people read there manual you will see what is called for, for fluids.
Old 30 May 2010, 08:50 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNT View Post
Well all I can say is I know a couple mopar techs, and discussed this and they told me the chemistries are different and that they have been told the dex cool will swell the seals and ruin them.

You can get Zerex Hoat at many parts stores, NAPA carries it about 13$ a gallon or they can order it.

If people read there manual you will see what is called for, for fluids.

Nobody has it that I could find in my area except the dealer, I went to Zerex's web site and got all the local dealers and not one they had listed still sold it. They are pushing the Prestone one that says it will do all cars, Prestone must have given these stores a sweet deal. Hardly any NAPA parts places around here. I also read the same things on some GM forums about the DEX cool ruining gaskets. Most GM guys are running the prestone instead.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 30 May 2010, 10:07 am
Senior Cruiser

If they dont have things on the self they can order it. My local NAPA has it and every other type of Anti freeze on the shelf, I mean how can they surreneder a 1/3 of the market between Ford and DC cars/trucks that call for it. Also is listed at 12.29 a gallon

Store Locator | NAPA Online
Old 30 May 2010, 10:41 am
Regular Cruiser

So here's another question, how many gallons does it take???