Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2001 PT Cruiser won't start, no power

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 May 2010, 10:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2001 PT Cruiser won't start, no power

My girlfriend has a 2001 that won't start and there is no power to anything.
A little history:
About a week ago it wouldn't start and needed to be jumped. It started right up after and then while driving all of the gauges bounced full cycle twice and the indicator lights came on and the car died. It restarted fine and had no more problems for the next few days. After the gauges and indicators did the same thing, she took it to Advance Auto to have the battery and charging system checked, they said the battery needed to be replaced. It ran great for the next two days and then died completely at a stop sign today and would not start again. Not only won't it start, there is no power to anything, no dash lights, no headlights, no horn. When we tried to jump start it, the cars started then died immediately when the jumper cables were removed.
I have some experience working on cars and thought there might be a short that drained the battery, a bad ground connection, or a blown fuse or relay. I checked the battery with a voltage meter and got 12.6 volts. I checked the ground by testing resistance and continuity between the negative terminal and the chassis and the ground is good. I checked the power distribution center and got 12.6 volts there too. All of the fuses and relays are good too.
I'm drawing a blank on what else to check. Hopefully someone here can help me out.

Richard
Old 29 May 2010, 10:56 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 PT Cruiser won't start, no power

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasrng View Post
My girlfriend has a 2001 that won't start and there is no power to anything.
A little history:
About a week ago it wouldn't start and needed to be jumped. It started right up after and then while driving all of the gauges bounced full cycle twice and the indicator lights came on and the car died. It restarted fine and had no more problems for the next few days. After the gauges and indicators did the same thing, she took it to Advance Auto to have the battery and charging system checked, they said the battery needed to be replaced. It ran great for the next two days and then died completely at a stop sign today and would not start again. Not only won't it start, there is no power to anything, no dash lights, no headlights, no horn. When we tried to jump start it, the cars started then died immediately when the jumper cables were removed.
I have some experience working on cars and thought there might be a short that drained the battery, a bad ground connection, or a blown fuse or relay. I checked the battery with a voltage meter and got 12.6 volts. I checked the ground by testing resistance and continuity between the negative terminal and the chassis and the ground is good. I checked the power distribution center and got 12.6 volts there too. All of the fuses and relays are good too.
I'm drawing a blank on what else to check. Hopefully someone here can help me out.

Richard
Sounds like your alternator is bad, and your new battery lasted until it died from not getting a good charge.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 26 Jun 2010, 10:12 am
Young Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 PT Cruiser won't start, no power

quick way to check alternator if u can keep it running is to start it up and remove neg battery clip if it continues to run its not the alternator