PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Power Steering went out while accelerating...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 May 2010, 12:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Power Steering went out while accelerating...

Less than 10 days ago, my mechanic changed the drive belts on my 2001 PT. Last night I was passing a semi truck and it sounded like an ice machine dropping ice for a moment coming from under the hood. I soon noticed no power steering. Based on the sound I explained, does this sound like a belt breaking or something else like the pump? Hopefully the shop is open tomorrow on Memorial Day.
Old 30 May 2010, 03:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Power Steering went out while accelerating...

The belt that runs the power steering pump also runs a few other thngs and you'd know if that broke. The only other belt is for the alternator. More than likely the pump went. If it's just the pump, you can still drive it but the steering will be very hard. I drove to my mechanic over 10 miles without a problem when my pump blew out.
Old 31 May 2010, 11:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the response. Since it is Memorial Day, my mechanic is working, but he let me bring it over, as he was doing some paperwork, and checked under the hood. He said there was no fluid and the belt was gone. (Also my battery light came on, during the initial noise/problem...) Could the pump have caused the belt to break or the belt breaking cause the pump to lose all fluid? Wondering what I should fight for with my new belts warranty (good for a year/12,000 miles).
Old 31 May 2010, 02:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The belt breaking wouldn't cause you to loose the fluid. More than likely you have a leak in the steering system and the pump froze up (for lack of fluid) and broke the belt. Just a guess.

There are several owners (including myself) who have had the power steerin gpump go bad.
Old 03 Jun 2010, 04:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Soooo...

Both belts ended up breaking and were missing. The mechanic said it was a bad pulley and charged me $149 to replace the pulley. He said he didn't charge me for 1 of the 2.5 hours that it was to work on that and also he replaced the missing belts at no parts charge.

10 days ago it was $78 for belts and labor (1 hour). I guess it took 1.5 hours to replace that pulley? 1+1.5 =2.5. Hmmmm. Do you think it really took that long to replace the pulley and could they have noticed it was bad the first time? I asked him and he said he didn't inspect it because it is way up in there.

So all together I spent $228 for the belts and a new pulley. Hopefully they last me 30K miles.
Old 03 Jun 2010, 05:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Very questionable that it took that long to replace the pulley. Everything is accessible from the passenger side wheel well and he was just there replacing those same belts 10 days ago. I'd find another mechanic and I'd ask for the "bad" pulley back to ask someone else about it. But my guess you'll find that he already threw the "bad" one away.

...and he didn't throw in the belts for free, you paid for it with the high price of replacing the pulley.

...the more I read your post, the worse it gets. he didn't inspect it because it is way up in there. He had to go around the pulley to put the other belts ON. What the heck is way up there when everything is right there in arms reach?

Last edited by CREWZIN; 03 Jun 2010 at 05:13 pm.
Old 03 Jun 2010, 06:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It's so hard to find a good mechanic around here...Ahhh! I don't trust anyone!! (North County San Diego). I seemed to get ripped off everywhere...this is the third one I have tried with my car!
Old 03 Jun 2010, 06:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Oh and yes, they said it take 8.8 hours to do the timing belt. I haven't done it yet, because that seems a bit long...
Old 03 Jun 2010, 07:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I don't know the official hourly book rate for the belt but my mechanic quoted me 5 to 7 hours depending if everything went OK. I was given a set price but then he found a slowly leaking crankshaft gasket so 1/2 hour was added plus the price of the gasket. I bought my own parts from Rock Auto.com and the whole thing came to about $1100.

I talked to the mechanic for a long time before I decided he was the one to do it. I had other estimates higher and lower but this mech had done the timing belt, water pump, tensioner and drive belts before and told me everything that I wanted to here, that I had heard on the forums about the problems that could arise and how the alignment when going back together has to be just right.

It's been almost 3,000 miles since it was done and the PT has never run as good as it does now. It was all worth it as I plan on keeping it for a long time to come.
Old 09 May 2011, 02:41 am
Fresh Cruiser

This is good information here for the auto repair mechanics. Actually I am looiking online for the income of the auto mechanics to rate my mechanic. Please share some information for me.

rate my mechanic