Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Severe shaking at idle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Jun 2010, 07:08 am
Young Cruiser

Default Severe shaking at idle

My 2000 2.4 cruiser started shaking while i had the AC on waiting to pickup my son from school. So i shut the AC off and it faded away. Now the problem has progressed over the past week to were the car VIOLENTLY shook while idling in a parking lot after a 10 minute drive. I checked the error codes and it gave me 577082 NO FAULT. So no error codes to work off of. Im guessing its a belt "PRAYING IT IS" Anyone wanna take a shot?
Old 01 Jun 2010, 07:23 am
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Severe shaking at idle

I would like to add i just heard what the sound was the sound and the shaking coralate 100% The fan seems to be hitting something? Or its off balance and hitting something? But the noise definately emulates from the fan.
Old 01 Jun 2010, 08:36 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
I would like to add i just heard what the sound was the sound and the shaking coralate 100% The fan seems to be hitting something? Or its off balance and hitting something? But the noise definately emulates from the fan.

Your fan could be bad and drawing too much voltage causing the car to shutter. The fan hitting something I don't think could shake car. One of the first signs you fan might be on it's way out is a shutter in the engine when the fan engages. The fan sucks in the PT, you can get an aftermarket fan for well under 150 bucks for the non turbo slightly more for the turbo.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 01 Jun 2010, 08:52 am
Young Cruiser

Ok i just got it back from a local shop he was 5 miles from the house. I was right and so were you dino about the fan. He states that it will cost me $352.50 for the fan another $44.17 for shop supplies? And 2.2 hours labor at $199.58 with tax and everything its $632.03!!!! Im freaking out, Does this sound right? Im obv going to shop around and he stated that he couldnt find an aftermarket one and that he had to get the stock one from the dealer. Gimme some advice guys thanks!
Old 01 Jun 2010, 09:23 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
Ok i just got it back from a local shop he was 5 miles from the house. I was right and so were you dino about the fan. He states that it will cost me $352.50 for the fan another $44.17 for shop supplies? And 2.2 hours labor at $199.58 with tax and everything its $632.03!!!! Im freaking out, Does this sound right? Im obv going to shop around and he stated that he couldnt find an aftermarket one and that he had to get the stock one from the dealer. Gimme some advice guys thanks!
It sounds expensive but the dealer fan isn't cheap, you can find the fan under 100 bucks online on ebay and places like this 01 - 05 Chrysler PT Cruiser Radiator Cooling Fan Assembly 02 03 04

I just googled that fan place so I don't know anything about them.
01-05 Chrysler PT Cruiser Radiator Cooling Fan - Yahoo! Search Results

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 01 Jun 2010, 09:27 am
Senior Cruiser

If you have advanced auto around you they have them for 169

Engine Cooling Fan Assembly by Dorman - Part 620-022 - Advance Auto Parts

Old 01 Jun 2010, 10:11 am
Young Cruiser

Nice i can order that fan from the local AA phew! Now i need to figure out how to remove this thing and do it myself. Is that a good idea? I have never done anything like it before.
Old 01 Jun 2010, 12:41 pm
Senior Cruiser

I would advise you to pick up a Haynes manual from AA or AZ while you're up there. It'll give you step-by-step instructions on how to do this, and even if you aren't good with a wrench, you should be able to tackle it.

EDIT: This should work as well, but obviously there are no illustrations:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5602850_repl...t-cruiser.html

Last edited by chris15; 01 Jun 2010 at 12:45 pm.
Old 01 Jun 2010, 06:14 pm
Banned

If you'll look about 10 threads up from this one (it's a sticky) you'll see that Crewzin was kind enough to put up a "how-to" on fan removal and installation. It's even his own PT that he used for this sticky!

Thanks Crewzin.

Jerry
Old 01 Jun 2010, 06:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Invidious,

When you checked the fault codes, how did you do it? What you got (577082 NO FAULT) is not what you should see when properly checking the codes. It will either give you a code (P09917) or say "done" if no codes are detected.