PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Rough idle while AC's on?

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Jun 2010, 06:51 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Rough idle while AC's on?

I have a 2007 Base Model PT with about 48K. When I have the AC on and I'm idling, the RPM's start to drop like it wants to stall, but it doesn't. They go up and down until I start moving. The air from the vents goes warm when this is happening. As soon as I start to drive, the air goes cold again and the engine runs smooth.

Any ideas what this could be?
Old 02 Jun 2010, 02:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Rough idle while AC's on?

I had the same problem with an 01. Just perform a simple tune up and you should be good. All mine needed was spark plugs and wires. Runs great now.
Old 02 Jun 2010, 02:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I hope Jayson's right, and it never hurts to do a tune up with fresh plugs (gaped at .040in) and new wires.

If that doesn't cure your problem, come on back and we'll talk about other things that it might be.
Old 03 Jun 2010, 02:25 pm
Cool Cruiser

Alright, I'm going to try to change the plugs and wires. I've read the other posts on here about this job. I doubt they've been done before, so the intake gaskets should be fine, right? I read they should be good for around 10 changes.

I was looking at using Autolite Single Platinum Spark Plugs (AP5263), it's not a turbo so I believe they'll be fine. And for the wires, I was going with either the Autolite Wire Set (97060) or Duraloast Wire Set (4702). Is one better than the other or are they basically the same? It may depend on which store has them in stock.
Old 03 Jun 2010, 02:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Plugs and wires (either one) will be fine. Gap the plugs at .040in and it's a good idea to use dielectric grease on the plug wire ends and anti-seize on the threads of the plugs. The intake gaskets should be fine, take a look at them when you have the intake off just to make sure.
Old 04 Jun 2010, 11:59 am
Regular Cruiser

The plugs & wires sound good (I'm using Autolites and works greats) also clean the throttle body that will help you with the performance of the can but I don't think that is the idle problem if the air from A/C is coming hot when you are stop.

Check if the Radiator Fan is working. That could be the reason "Bad Fan".

Be careful can cause overheating

Good Look
RedPT07
Miami, FL
Old 10 Jun 2010, 10:18 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hey,
I have a solution for your rough idle problem. My pt was idling very rough when i had the a/c on, and I didn't know why. About a week ago, I was driving and my check engine light came on. So when I got home, I ran the Onboard Diagnostic Tool and I got the error codes in the odometer. (P0340). That is a bad Camshaft Position Sensor. So I went to Pep Boys, and for $35, I got a new one. After replacing it, the light went off, and I've been noticing how much more responsive and smooth it has been. Also, when my a/c is on, the RPM doesn't fluctuate anymore.
Hope this helps!
-ptguy69
Old 10 Jun 2010, 10:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Hope that sensor keeps working for you. The sensor though, shouldn't have anything at all to do with a rough idle with the A/C on. Many owners reported that their sensors bought at a local auto store rather than Chrysler, either didn't work or failed soon afterwards, so keep an eye on it.
Old 10 Jun 2010, 12:06 pm
Cool Cruiser

I'm going to do the plugs and wires this weekend. But, I noticed it running a little rough with even the defroster on. Hopefully, this will fix the problem.
Old 10 Jun 2010, 01:51 pm
Regular Cruiser

Did you check the Radiator Fan is working OK when rough idle start?

Check it out and verify the Air coming out from vents. If air is:
Cold: Fan is OK.
Warm: Fan cold be stuck.

The air get cold when you are driven more than 35 mph. The fan stop working at that speed or higher.

Going to plugs and wires is good at 48K miles if you never has it before, remember clean throttle body. What spark plug are you thinking to put?