PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

2001 PT cruiser, no spark, no fuel..?..?..?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Jun 2010, 10:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy 2001 PT cruiser, no spark, no fuel..?..?..?

Hello everyone, Bought this cruiser from a guy that gave up trying to fix it! It just died on him and his mech said it was a timing belt, they replaced the timing belt, the water pump, cam and crank sensors, plugs and wires, and coil pack, and still no spark, or fuel. Plugs are dry, but i do hear the fuel pump when i turn the key, had sentry checked, thats all ok! I dont know where to go next, any help would be super, thanks...
Old 03 Jun 2010, 07:02 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 PT cruiser, no spark, no fuel..?..?..?

The only thing I can say is that after putting all those new parts in and you still have no spark and no fuel, you should start looking at the PCM. (Programmable/Power Control Module)

It's a computer that basically runs the engine (along with other things) in the car. It takes information from all those sensors on the engine (o2,crank,tps..) to give the engine what it needs. It will adjust fuel flow, spark timing, idle speed, ect, all depending on outside temp, throttle angle, vehicle speed, ect.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 03 Jun 2010, 09:15 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I agree with Crewzin. Obviously the mechanic mis-diagnosed it as a broken timing belt (the belt may actually have been broken, but did not lead to a lack of fuel and spark).

You may have a bad PCM. We replace them every now and then at our dealership.
Old 03 Jun 2010, 12:51 pm
Senior Cruiser

With a problem like this I would bite the expensive dealer bullet and let them find the problem.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 07 Jun 2010, 09:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

So, hooked the snap on modis up and quickly realized i had good crank pulse, but intermitant cam pulse, This led me to start looking at wires, which led me to unplug the ECM where i saw a gooey oil like substace coming out from the pins. I think something heated up to the point it burst open and oozed out the only place it could....will keep you guys posted, ordered a new ecm today.
Old 07 Jun 2010, 09:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Just think of the guy who first owned it and paid for the timing belt, water pump and sensors for NOTHING! A decent diagnosis of the PCM and he'd still be the owner.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Old 09 Jun 2010, 05:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Anyone know if i have to have the ecm re-flashed before i put it in the car?
Old 09 Jun 2010, 05:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I think you do but read this thread and see if it answers your question:

ECU Replacement
Old 19 Jun 2010, 06:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

OK boys, and girls!!! Car is running!!! What a nightmare, took it to the dealers and they reflashed my ecm and still no spark and fuel! The service manager kindly shrugged his shoulders and said i have no clue whats wrong with it, now that will be $238 dollars! So, towed the car back to my house and started ripping apart the top end in disgust and upon taking the sproket off the cam, i realized the keyway on the intake cam was sheered off! .27 CENTS.....YES, .27 cents later and a reassembly and she started right up, unbelievable.....................thanks guys for all your replies, happy motoring!!
Old 19 Jun 2010, 10:36 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmr View Post
OK boys, and girls!!! Car is running!!! What a nightmare, took it to the dealers and they reflashed my ecm and still no spark and fuel! The service manager kindly shrugged his shoulders and said i have no clue whats wrong with it, now that will be $238 dollars! So, towed the car back to my house and started ripping apart the top end in disgust and upon taking the sproket off the cam, i realized the keyway on the intake cam was sheered off! .27 CENTS.....YES, .27 cents later and a reassembly and she started right up, unbelievable.....................thanks guys for all your replies, happy motoring!!

Wow great news on the fix, that's a new one

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson