PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2002 PT Cruiser Rough Idle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jun 2010, 05:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2002 PT Cruiser Rough Idle

My 2002 PT Cruiser "Limited" 139K miles, manual 5 speed, rough idle. No fault
codes. Tuned up at 102K, new timing belt, plugs,wires. At 139K Dealer replaced EGR valve. Still rough idle. Went to muffler shop, hoping catalytic
converter was plugged. Nope, it checked ok. Fuel injection system cleaned. No prob there. Car runs fine on highway & city. Noticeable misfire when "trouncing" on gas. Can I possibly need a valve job at 139K with oil changes every 3k miles? Frustrated here. Any impressions, welcome. Thanks.
Old 03 Jun 2010, 08:17 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: 2002 PT Cruiser Rough Idle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby1 View Post
My 2002 PT Cruiser "Limited" 139K miles, manual 5 speed, rough idle. No fault
codes. Tuned up at 102K, new timing belt, plugs,wires. At 139K Dealer replaced EGR valve. Still rough idle. Went to muffler shop, hoping catalytic
converter was plugged. Nope, it checked ok. Fuel injection system cleaned. No prob there. Car runs fine on highway & city. Noticeable misfire when "trouncing" on gas. Can I possibly need a valve job at 139K with oil changes every 3k miles? Frustrated here. Any impressions, welcome. Thanks.
Your intake manifold might have a leak, it's usually the lower one, if you spray starter fluid near it while idling and it smooths out you know that your problem. The stock wires also suck so that could be a problem also

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 03 Jun 2010, 08:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum.

Hopefully the wires weren't the OEM wires that Chrysler sells. They are bad as DINO just said. The plugs should have been gaped at .040in.

Could be carbon build up in the Throttle Body or a partial clogged injector. Couple bottles of Chevron Techron or a can of Sea Foam might cure it.
Old 13 Jun 2010, 09:36 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
Your intake manifold might have a leak, it's usually the lower one, if you spray starter fluid near it while idling and it smooths out you know that your problem. The stock wires also suck so that could be a problem also
I would not use starter fluid to find a vacuum leak, its flamable. Use carb or brake cleaner instead.
Old 13 Jun 2010, 10:04 pm
Banned

If it was my car with 139,000 miles on it and 36,000 miles since your last tune up, I would say it's likely your plugs and wires. Particularly if they didn't change the wires at the 102,000 tune up. The stock champion copper plugs are fine for an N/A but gap them down to around 36 instead of 40 to take some of the load off of the well used coil. The smaller the gap, the easier it is for the coil to fire the plugs and for one with that many miles--well-- be kind to it. As far as wires, it will be easier to find the Chrysler "blue performance" wires at your dealer. If you have access to aftermarket wires like MSD , Crane, Granatelli, etc. they are all good.

Again, if it was mine that is the first thing I would do.

Jerry