PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
need help with thermostat removal and coolant type

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jun 2010, 09:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default need help with thermostat removal and coolant type

hello forum
im having a little trouble. my wife drove her 02 cruiser to the supermarket. when she started to leave the engine starting running hot. this is a first for any problems with her car.she turned it off and called me. i have flushed the block and radiator really well and thought i would change the thermostat while i was trying to fix the problem.i drained the coolant and it looked a rusty orange color. the thermostat houseing is kind of hard to get off,i can not get the top hose off the houseing,its under the plastic intake manifold i guess you call it..any tricks or pointer to get it off..also will the universal coolant at walmart be ok to put back in it? all help is appreciated and needed...thank you kindly
Old 03 Jun 2010, 10:36 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: need help with thermostat removal and coolant type

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberghost159 View Post
hello forum
im having a little trouble. my wife drove her 02 cruiser to the supermarket. when she started to leave the engine starting running hot. this is a first for any problems with her car.she turned it off and called me. i have flushed the block and radiator really well and thought i would change the thermostat while i was trying to fix the problem.i drained the coolant and it looked a rusty orange color. the thermostat houseing is kind of hard to get off,i can not get the top hose off the houseing,its under the plastic intake manifold i guess you call it..any tricks or pointer to get it off..also will the universal coolant at walmart be ok to put back in it? all help is appreciated and needed...thank you kindly

Check the cooling fan it's the weak link, And you should use HOAT antifreeze, it was hard to find near me. But the dealer has it but it's expensive. You can get the Zerex G-05 hoat at Napa auto at least some of them.
I ordered it on line from these guys Approved Vendor ZXGO5RU1 Antifreeze/Coolant

If it's a non turbo the fan should have two speeds and should always be on with the AC on.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 03 Jun 2010, 10:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

all the fans are working fine, soon as the ac is turned on the fan starts. also after i got it home (towed it home) i put about 1/2 gallon water in it and let it idle for 30 mins. fan will kick on and off as it should and didnt run hot again so i thought the thermostat might have stuck so i was going to replace it fill it up with coolant and drive it for awhile before i turn my wife loose with the car...so reg. coolant want work??
Old 03 Jun 2010, 10:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

As DINO pointed out, use HOAT coolant or equivalent. Anything else will rust the radiator out.

Here's how to take the plastic manifole off:

Spark Plug Guide

And here what the thermostat housing area looks like:

Old 04 Jun 2010, 12:29 am
Fresh Cruiser

ok thanks, i'll look for the HOAT type,,,also how do i burp the system??
Old 04 Jun 2010, 04:30 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
ok thanks, i'll look for the HOAT type,,,also how do i burp the system??
Old 04 Jun 2010, 02:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

i found the bleeder valve,how do i go about bleeding it? do i get the engine warm then open it or what? thanks
Old 04 Jun 2010, 03:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Fill the radiator up till the tip of the cap. Fill the overflow till the cold mark. Tyr getting any air out now by loosening the valve. Run the car till you think the thermostat is open. Shut it off. Be extremely careful and open the bleed valve again to see if there's any air. Shut it off when it bleeds coolant. Run the car again for awhile and bring it back and let it sit to cool down a bit and again, be very careful, loosen the bleed screw again till it bleeds coolant. You might try it again in a day or so. Each time you bleed it, if there's any air, fill the overflow bottle up to the correct line on the bottle.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 05 Jun 2010 at 01:06 pm.
Old 04 Jun 2010, 07:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

alrighty,,thanks a million..i got the thermostat changed and everything bolted back up..the autozone by my house didnt have any hoat or g05 coolant..told me that the new prestone was for all cars now..i told him id been advised to use hoat coolant and id look for it.lol i will appreciate all your much needed help..
Old 05 Jun 2010, 05:26 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
alrighty,,thanks a million..i got the thermostat changed and everything bolted back up..the autozone by my house didnt have any hoat or g05 coolant..told me that the new prestone was for all cars now..i told him id been advised to use hoat coolant and id look for it.lol i will appreciate all your much needed help..
Try NAPA.